HybridZ

The official White Z thread

Whats wrong with creamy? I'm planning on painting my Z a pearl white and I like the fact that its creamy, kinda gives it that vintage look.

Nothing wrong with creamy. I have the pearl white 350, and before that I had a pearl white 300ZX. I was just saying that there's nothing wrong with it. :D

Doing the low-buck Rustoleum treatment here...still have to buff and polish but you get the idea. Better than before though, that's what I keep telling myself!

post-9870-019572700 1277812510_thumb.jpg

post-9870-041631400 1277812557_thumb.jpg

haha, i am in the process of doing a cheapo white Rustoleum job as well. Question. What did you do to paint the jams? Especially by the rear hatch mounting points and doors? Did you just use Rustoleum spray paint? I would imagine getting in there with a roller would be pretty difficult. Did you just use a 1 to 1 mixture of Rustoleum and thinner?

Any chance to get a close up picture of the paint? Car looks great man.

haha, i am in the process of doing a cheapo white Rustoleum job as well. Question. What did you do to paint the jams? Especially by the rear hatch mounting points and doors? Did you just use Rustoleum spray paint? I would imagine getting in there with a roller would be pretty difficult. Did you just use a 1 to 1 mixture of Rustoleum and thinner?

Any chance to get a close up picture of the paint? Car looks great man.

Correct- I'm just using the same gloss white in a spray can for the jambs, hard to reach areas, spots I missed, etc. I used a cheap spray gun and it came out okay...not the greatest but I've almost finished the wetsand/compound/buff process and it definitely makes it better. Sprayed with a 4-1 paint to acetone mix. I'll get some close-ups once I get the compounds worked in...thanks!

• 2 months later...

Thats great you guys are using Rustoleum white. I am using it as a durable undercoat/primer for my engine bay, headlight scoops, front quarter, and rear end. I found an outfit in Sacramento called Original Paints. They will put your paint code in a can premixed with clear coat. For my 1971, its 904 Ivory White. I cleaned the engine bay then hit it with the Rustoleum. I am in the process of wet sanding the rustoleum with 1000 grit before I lay down the Original Paint. We will see. I removed the headlight scoops b/c there was some damage to the fiberglass that I had to fix. They are easier to paint hung up.

P1010006.jpg

P1010001-3.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

P1010004-2.jpg

P1010003-4.jpg

P1010002-3.jpg

Disregard the line that was from a previous effort that went horribly wrong.

P1010001-4.jpg

You can see the older tarnished white on the door. I am hoping the Origianl Paint will blend a little copared with the Rustoleum on the quarter.

White z's and rattle cans!

Bonk

I recently found a whole white paint kit in my garage my old roommate left behind. Primer, paint, clear, everything. I might go ahead and paint mine white since all the materials ended up being free :) . Love this thread, and I second the sticky suggestion.

Edited by iHeartTouge

• 2 weeks later...

A very bad cell phone photo, but here is my Z. Has Boyds aluminum rims from when I got it a few months back, trying to order some gold 17" Rota RB-Rs right now. Lowered a couple inches or so with ground control coilovers and Illuminas. I will put together a project thread soon as I redid all the suspension and have a lot more planned. Is it just me or is white maybe the best colour for these Zs?

craig

post-8912-001819000 1285621320_thumb.jpg