HybridZ

Turbo ECU questions

zx_drift

So I have built a '81 Turbo motor for my car, have an '81 harness, and am getting ready to do the swap, but I just found out my ECU is for an '82. Will this cause any problems? If yes, does anyone have an '81 ECU they'd be willing to trade? Thanks guys,

It should work since the crank reference is the same signal.

If you are absolutely sure the ecu is a 1982 or later, then you will have to go to that 8 lug connector where the dropping resistors plug into the harness (1 in and 6 separate resisted out) and bypass them.

I just made a six into one with 7 male spade connectors and plugged that into the female plug on the harness.

Use a meter to determine which is the 12 volt input.

The difference in ecus is that the 1981 uses an external dropping resistor pack on the harness while the 1982 and 1983 have the resistors in the ecu.

The crank reference signalling should be the same.

You have a 90 tooth pulley with a sensor that has two poles spaced halfway between two peaks which causes 180 pulses per crank revolution and a different pole for the 120 degree pulse.

It's really 3 sensors with two of them outputting on the same wire and the other having it's own output.

Sadly....the crank sensor won't allow you to upgrade to the Z31 system because it requires a longer duration on one of the 120 degree peaks to identify cylinder #1.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...