HybridZ

Spark from coil, nothing past dizzy on MSI V3 Extra

FlatBlack

I have always used the factory coil ignitors on all my setups, except the L28ET where I used the GM 4 pin HEI. On TPI I used the factory 7/8 pin, on LT1 I used the factory, and on my 4G63 I used factory. The LS1 has them built into each coil. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring this thread, I have zero experience with the MS coil driver. The GM 4 pin modules are about $15 at autozone. I have used them, just mount it to a heat sink and make sure it is grounded well(the ring by the mounting bolt). Then put the dwell settings at minimum for HEI.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always used the factory coil ignitors on all my setups, except the L28ET where I used the GM 4 pin HEI. On TPI I used the factory 7/8 pin, on LT1 I used the factory, and on my 4G63 I used factory. The LS1 has them built into each coil. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring this thread, I have zero experience with the MS coil driver. The GM 4 pin modules are about $15 at autozone. I have used them, just mount it to a heat sink and make sure it is grounded well(the ring by the mounting bolt). Then put the dwell settings at minimum for HEI.

:slaps forehead: I sold my turbo coil ignitor with the 83 ZXT harness I had.

Thanks for posting Moby. Do you think HEI will make this setup work? At this point I'm looking at ditching this board and building one from scratch. I got this particular board second hand. If you think the HEI will work, then I'm definitely down to try it.

The car was so close to being back on the road, I hope it's something easy I can take care of.

If you enjoy experimenting I would try the HEI module since its cheap and relatively easy to install. Just be sure the invert on/off setting is correct for the HEI module so it doesn't burn up. Since you are thinking of getting a new board anyway, this may be an easy last experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates!!

Alright, school has started and I am forced to only work on the S30 on the weekends because it is 30 minutes North of me in the shop.

I am going to try a couple of things tonight to get the MS to spark, but if they don't work, I am just going to wire the WBO2 in and only run fuel. That way I can limp the car back to town where I will be able to work on it in my free time, not only on the weekends.

Does anyone know if the N/A dizzy will fit over the 83 ZXT Dizzy shaft? I guess I'll find out tonight :)

Goodbye, you wretched V3.0 box that has given me headache after headache and wasted countless hours of my time.

I concede to this ridiculous board - It has defeated me.

I'm ordering a Pre-assembled MSI V3.57 board from DIY late this week or early next week. I need to fanagle some funds, turn some solid assets into liquid, etc etc.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirti-efi-system-smd-pcb357-black-case-p-172.html

I feel like this is the right decision, I'll hurt a little bit for funds for a week or two but I have other jobs I can do on the weekends to get me back on my feet.

So, hopefully the next thing you all hear about this is that I threw the new box on the car with Mike's MSQ and *voila* it starts up.

Thanks for all of you that contributed to this thread.

- Flatty

• 2 weeks later...

Russ from DIY just got back to me, he suggested re-flashing the firmware before I go through pulling things apart.

Seems reasonable because I was changing settings, burning them and then trying to crank her.

I'm making a AutoCad drawing of my wiring for my personal reference, I'll post it up later.

I reflashed the board, still no spark.

Re-flashed it again, still no spark.

I pulled the relay board, relay board to ECU harness and ECU with connectors so I can bench test it so I don't have to drive 30 minutes one way to try every little thing.

Gettin real tired of all this.....

:shock: Pulled the relay board out of its case and two solder joints were broken on the fuel pump relay

I re-soldered several of the questionable joints as well, hooked it up to a car battery and... voila! 12.9 Volts to the fuel pump for two seconds when switched on!!

It's Friday night, I have plans, but since I'm a car geek I'll probably run out to the shop to see if she'll fire up.

:mrgreen: