HybridZ

Emissions Question

Last year my 1978 Datsun passed emissions because it was tested as a 78 Datsun. This year in Colorado they are testing as the year of the car or the engine which ever is newer. Therefore mine is a 2000 LS1 from a Trans Am. If I have to put the egr etc back on, has anyone ever had to deal with that. The computer has all that stuff removed, so i assume if its on it doesnt have to work. But without it, can it pass the test. Any pearls of wisdom???? P.S. the header wont accomodate the egr plumbing. Thank God for the government, they are here to help !!!!

In Cali you have to retain all emissions equipment in which the newer engine had. Example: if your donor car had two CATS, then you have to run two CATS even though the Datsun only had one.

It will mostly depend on how picky they want to be on the visual part of the test.

An easy way to know is to cruise down to a local SMOG shop (test only would be preferred) and ask them politely to take a look at your car for free and see if they see anything that would make you instantly fail if your were there for a SMOG inspection/test. If they are even remotely car guys, they'll do it just for free as an excuse to eye candy your car/swap.

If they tell you this or that would need to be changed/swapped listen to them and do the things they told you. Then when its time to have your SMOG done, take it back to them since they took the time/trouble to help you out and because you shouldn't have any trouble since they are the ones that 'advised' you in the first place.

Update to my emission problem. Met with the air program vehicle evaluation tech center today. Technically my 1978 with a 2000 LS1 would require: 2 cats; 4 O2 sensors; egr; check engine light; fuel tank sensor, obd output; and god knows what else. I have a single cat; charcoal canister and 2 O2 sensors.

The tech said what I did is what he would have done and filled out a DR 2365 form stating the car would be tested as follows:

"engine has been replaced with a 5.7L V-8. required equipment for this vehicle is an oxy sensor (2) and a cat converter. air system is to be marked N/A. test as a 1978 (tailpipe).

I could have kissed him !!!!!

My cat is gutted, engine blew insides of cat out the tail pipe, but i passed

my HC PPM was 68 against a limit of 400. Those LS1's are just incrediable.

I'd think that since you met the requirements when you did the swap, they would have a tough time making you go back and add that stuff. Hope they don't do that here in Idaho. Don't have any cats -not required on non-California cars in 78- and passes the sniffer test easily. Glad you got your issues worked out.

Mike