My DIY paint job thread...

piston

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

today i resprayed the driver side fender. 3 mist base and 2 heavy clear. here are the pics with just the base before clear.

SDC11480.jpg

SDC11481.jpg

SDC11482.jpg

here i layed down 2 decent/heavy clear coat. no overkill clearing is needed as it will run and be a PITA to sand.

SDC11485.jpg

SDC11486.jpg

SDC11487.jpg

heres a really close shot of the paintjob. minimal orange peel but a couple wetsand paper should handle the business.

SDC11490.jpg

i hate to waste paint like always especially when im done with the job and have extra still in the guns cup. so i decited to do some quick spray where prepping doesnt matter and layed it down without primer. lol. picked up the only pieces left sitting around and layed some under. its even got clearcoat on it. hahaha can ya see the traped dust???

SDC11497.jpg

Lookin good man.

I might suggest that you switch over to distilled water. Depending on your location, you will have some hard minerals in your tap water. If that water has any chance of seeping into the pores of the paint, it can and will etch the paint. At this stage, without any wax on the vehicle, introducing any unknown substance is a bit too risky.

Just my opinion... What you've done so far does look very nice. :icon14:

i think its a little overkill for distilled water. i know distilled water is the cleanest water for anything but i dont think the z is gonna stay with me for another 10 years so im using what i can find for now. alot of shops around here suggest the same thing and to use distilled water, i have not yet to see a paint job that has been effected by tap water from wetsanding. im sure the water around here is dirty compare to city water because i live outside the city and thers only farm fields around me. thanks for the heads up though..

anyone can paint like this. it just takes time and learning how to spray and adjust your paint equipment. im a do it yourself guy so its all still a learning experience for me also like i already have mentioned before.

i gotta be honest though, it does look better than some paint jobs i seen around here that shops do. autobody is such a PITA and underpay and customers rush to get their cars out while they dont understand it takes time to do a clean job. i rush myself at times also but i tell myself the thing aint going nowhere anyways because it doesnt have an engine. lol.

Edited by piston
typo

alot of bondo also is always a bad idea and another reason for cracks under vibration and flex. i was surprised my fender came out really straight. i did repairs on it and weld, tack the trim holes and the little holes on the side for the emblems and it came out with no waves as crappy as i weld. lol im happy with the results.

Beautiful!

It might have been mentioned, but are you painting the engine bay this color as well?

yes i will be doing the enginebay the same color. i still have to make some mods under the hood so thats why i havent painted it yet and make a cross member for the 2jz which will require welding. cant afford sparks on the paint job. thats also why i havent painted the body yet also because i still plan to make me a cage.

its not perfect, its just alright. i hate orange peel and i try my best to wetsand it out but its really risky on the edges. i like a clean refection with no waves but its alot of work. thers little imperfections here and there but not noticeable.

Man, it'd be very cool if you made a thread on how you did your car! Looks great! I'm in the middle of doing body work on mine and was planning on using Rustoleum (3 gloss white with 1 almond quart mixed up to get off white and a pearly color). Anyway, looking forward to the thread.

Thanks

I used laquer thinner and got A LOT better results, much less orange peel, no runs, faster dry. 3-4 parts paint to 1 part laquer thinner. Also, go to the discount auto store and get a 30 dollar resperator (for paint fumes). Its definitly worth it. PM for any other questions, dont wanna jack the thread. :eek: maybe i should make a post on how to tremclad a car the right way.

so today i sprayed some real epoxy primer on my engine compartment over the slightly left rattle can primer i had to protect it from rust. heres before pics.

SDC11509.jpg

SDC11511.jpg

SDC11512.jpg

heres the epoxy primer i layed down. took about 3/4 of qt.

SDC11513.jpg

SDC11519.jpg

SDC11524.jpg

i had barely enough primer in the cup to finish off the front...

SDC11523.jpg