HybridZ

Headers vs. Suspension

Alright, in about a month or two, I will be purchasing SOMETHING for my Z. However, I have a dilemma; I can purchase a header and lowering springs for about the same price (around $250.) I'm just trying to get opinions from people who have done both, and what their experience would suggest. At present, I have a stock suspension, as well as a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust. I do realize that its a matter of personal opinion, but I am going to do both of them in the end, so it's just a matter of the timing of it all.

On the matter of headers, which brand/company/entity would provide the biggest OVERALL boost (torque+HP?)

That's what I keep hearing. I was under the impression it would make more sense to wait on the springs, and do a full spring/shock swap together

It does make more sense to do springs and struts at the same time so only doing it once. If you can't do both i would start with the struts. Perhaps a bushing kit might be a good place to start as that should fit your budget.

Alright, so suspension it is. The only problem is that my father might not allow me to put them on (the car is in his name for insurance reasons,) but I hope so.... Any brand suggestions? I know that Suspension techniques does a kit, and that runs about $215. I can get the Eibach Pro-Line kit for about 300, as well....

i got the Tokico shocks, and the lowering springs from MSA.

along with a master bushing kit, and i have to say that it is probably one of the best things i have done to my car performance wise.

you get much better traction in all aspects of driving.

off the line, there is a huge difference because you dont get that huge dip in the rear end when you take off.

Thanks phil! What brand were yours?

"Prothane"...just like I stated in my post above :)

Looks like it's not available right now for the S130 on Ebay, but here's a link to the S30 kit, from the same seller (good seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Datsun-260Z-280Z-Prothane-Total-Bushing-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem4836ba287cQQitemZ310155815036QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I paid about $100 for it.