HybridZ

Any tips for removing gum from carpet?

HeatRaveR

Ugh, I can't stand people who toss gum on the ground when there's a #@% garbage can right there! So as a result, I unknowingly stepped in some gum and got in the passenger side for a road trip, the whole time, embedding the gum in the floormat. I got out what I could with a napkin, but what's the procedure for removing gum from carpeting? Oil? Degreaser? I've read that chocolate or peanut butter can break gum apart, but that sort of seems like I'll then have a different gunk embedded in the carpet instead.

It's not the peanut butter itself you need, but the peanut butter oil that seeps out of some brands of PB. The PB Oil is a very penetrative oil and gets through and makes the gun unstick. then shampoo the PB oil stain out.

Personally, I'd just look up your local Kirby dealer/distributor in the phone book and get a spray bottle of either the citrus cleaner or the food stain remover, both do an excellent job on gum, even old gum thats been trodden in for years.

Just a little note for those who smoke or someone else has burned a hole in your carpet. Or if you accidently rip out a little tuft of carpet while removing your girfriends favorite hard candy:frown:

Cut a tuft from a non visible spot, like under the door sil, and roll it into a ball and stick it to the spot with a few drops of super glue. Then take a sharp pair of sisors and trim it flat with the surrounding area and volia no more hole. Work wonders and id give to credit to the site where i learned it but it was a few years back.