HybridZ

Polishing Aluminum

So I worked my ass off at polishing aluminum

Here are my results. Sorry, pic is forthe ebay ad but its perfect because it shows before and after shots.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/andre2099/Q45%20stuff/throttlebodycopy.jpg

I'm working on polishing some stock aluminum intake components for my Z31. Anyone have any tips on how to polish interior bends? I want the insides to be like the throttle body.

Also, I bought a sand blaster gun from harber freight and some 80 grit glass beads. It doesnt seem to do anything. I'm thinking the gun needs some kind of smaller air nozzle because the one provided is just a wide hole. Anyone have any links or info on sandblasting? It will make my life a whole lot easier.

Just putting engineering degree to work.. polished aluminum does have a lower emissivity; however, perfectly polished and smooth surfaces have a higher friction coefficient at boundaries than slighly rough surfaces. It creates turbulence. Not trying to be critical but maybe help with accuracy. It does look great though!

Hey. Where'd you get your engineering degree? I got my at UCSC :D

Yea your right about the boundaries I guess that makes sense...but I don't see many boundaries inside the throttle body, except for where the throttle plate meets the walls. But, note that on all throttle bodies, at those points, it is mirror finish from the factory, so that has to tell you something ;)

Rose Hulman. #1 for 10 years straight now. Boundaries would be the walls of the TB; ie any edges. If you've ever watched a fluids demo, like a pipe, super smooth edges catch and drag the fluid where slight roughness will allow more laminar flow. The same is true when porting/polishing a head. On the intake side, you want to clean it up, but not to go wild with 1000 grit.

Here's a simpler model: I have a Les Paul Ultra where the back of the neck is satin compared to gloss. This allows you to fret fast as smoother surfaces tend to catch and drag.

Either way, your TB looks nice and I'm not trying to put you down or anything.

?? Oh well...

Anyways, so I'm thinking of doing another TB like this except for a final step I will use a hone to give it a cross hatch pattern on the inner side. That way the "boundries" wont cause so much turbulence, yet be smooth enough to not cause any build up or corrode over time. I will keep the portion behind the throttle plate mirror finish since it comes this way stock and I have not been given any reason why not to have it mirror there so I'm assuming it is important since it comes this way stock.

I have a Les Paul Ultra where the back of the neck is satin compared to gloss. This allows you to fret fast as smoother surfaces tend to catch and drag.

Only on HybridZ are guitar necks compared to throttle bodies...

I'm not a musician so I'm wondering: Do guitarists actually ask the salesman what the coefficient of friction is when purchasing a new guitar?

I'm not a musician so I'm wondering: Do guitarists actually ask the salesman what the coefficient of friction is when purchasing a new guitar?

When I was a guitarist, that was the last thing on my mind. :icon45:

Sorry to remain off topic here, but I read that as

"Do guitarists actually ask the salesman what the coefficient of friction is when purchasing a new air guitar?"

as I was thinking about airflow at the time. Which was worth a good minute of laughing. So, thanks for that.