HybridZ

Paint color choice help needed

Paint choices...need help

I purchased a 240Z a while back...well...rescued it actually! The previous owners purchased the car a number of years ago with the intention of restoring it. They drove the car for a few years...lost interest and eventually parked it behind their barn under an oak tree where it sat for twelve years until I purchased it. To say it needed a little work would be an understatement. I know most people probably would have run from a project like this but there was just something about this car. All I could see was diamond in the rough. After tons of work, I'm proud to say that the Z is back! Now it's time for some much needed body work and some paint. That's where I need some help. I've decided on the color red for the paint but I haven't decided on the exact shade of red. I really like the blood red shades, but I'm really looking for something a little flashier. OK...a lot flashier...I want something that just screams for some law enforcement attention. The only real problem with choosing a shade is that most of the really bright shades of red have a tendency to turn orange in full sunlight. The Porche's Gaurds Red is a perfect example of the orange look in full sunlight and I'm looking for the brightest shade without the orange effect. Any help that you guys could offer would be seriously appreciated. I'm sure there's someone out there knows the perfect color for my car... or maybe he had a buddy that painted a car one time, or just saw a stunning red on the way to work and could help. I have only found three shades so far so I'm sure there's probably a ton of colors I've never even heard of. One of the colors that I found is called True Red and it comes on the Mazda 3 and MX-5 Miata. Code is...A4A

Second...is a color that came on the Jeep Grand Cherokee's back in the

90's and early 2000. It's called Chilli Pepper Red. Code is VEA

Third is called Victory Red and it's a actually a GM paint. It came on all kinds of vehicles from the corvettes to the extreeme S10's. Code is 74U

Seriously...anything would be a huge help. Maybe a link to a webpage or just a picture...even if you just have a paint code or just the make and model of the automobile ...you would be helping me tremendously. Thanks in advance.

phil stop stinking this place up with that bright carona and lime paint job =) but really i had a 79 280zx that was maroon from the factory and i repainted it that lexus color (maaco but did my own prep) and it came out pretty good and made me money ($500)when i resold it after buying it and driving it for a year and a half only putting a starter,fan motor, brake pads, new recovered seats, and that paint (all totalling about $700) and the radiator was leaking like a civ when i sold it so i think i did pretty well and loved that color

Phil...It's funny you mention green because the car still has the original Nissan 113 green metalic paint. Well...what's left of it anyway and to be perfectly honest...its within just a shade or two away from your choice. I took some compound and polished out a spot behind the license plate and it actually looked incredible. Has some gold metal flake to it. It gets a really dark rich color to it in the shade but it really comes alive in full sun showing off the metalics. I had no idea Nissan used such a stunning color back in the early seventies.

Phil...You painted your car with Rustoleum? I just finished reading a post about it. Saw some finished results too and I'm amazed. Does it get any better than that? Get a scratch or a ding...no big deal...I'll fix it when I get home. I understand it takes a lot of wetsanding but who cares. I had planned on doing all my own body work and I was worried about spending a fortune just in paint only to have someone damage it the next week. I'm seriously thinking about going this route.

Let the flame war commence wow. No its real paint same as mine actually.

P1020535.jpg

Phil...You painted your car with Rustoleum? I just finished reading a post about it. Saw some finished results too and I'm amazed. Does it get any better than that? Get a scratch or a ding...no big deal...I'll fix it when I get home. I understand it takes a lot of wetsanding but who cares. I had planned on doing all my own body work and I was worried about spending a fortune just in paint only to have someone damage it the next week. I'm seriously thinking about going this route.

As tempting as it is...I'm think I'm going to stick to using real automotive paint. There's just something wrong about putting rustoleum paint on a car that I have already invested hundreds of hours into. Now...if I could just get someone to suggest some more good color choices suggestions...

:burnout: If you want, you can call some of the paint shops around your area and find out where they get their paint supplies from. Go to the store and ask to look at some of the current year paint code books. Look throught them and dream a little (ie, how would it look on the car) as you look at the books. You, then can pick the color you want on the car. They make the paint for you from the codes in the books. You can even have it tinted lighter or darker to meet your needs. Our store in town is called "Barnes wholesale automotive paints", I use it a lot. There is a lot of red colors made by and used by the automotive industries. Most of the stores have code books covering all of the car years to current. All you have to do is search until you find the color you want. Then get the paint code from the book an take it with you to the paint shop and give it to them. Good Luck with your choice, Rich.

If you search the rustolium can be smoothed out pretty good. I had less than $100 in that paint job. If I would of block sanded it might still be on my car today? Now i'm spending $2K on paint!!!

YES my Sublime was $411 a gallon, the old sublime was $190? or so?? Black rustolium $25 a gallon lol !!!

Yeah Phil...I guess I'm just going to have to pony just like the rest of you. I haven't priced any red paint...still trying to decide on the color first...but I'm sure it's going to be in the $500 a gallon and up catagory. That's really the reason I wanted some suggestions on the shade of red. I've changed my mind about a hundred times on the color. First it was white...then it was blue...then it was metalic burgandy and then it was silver and then it was green and now it's red. I've had every color Z in my list here at some point of my life or another...except the red, so I guess it's going to be red. I just keep going back and forth on my choices of dark blood reds like the Imolarot II ImolaRedII that came on the 2004-2006 BMW M3 and M5...to the brighter racier reds like the Viper Red or Ferrari red and it's driving me crazy. I'm leaning towards the lighter reds right now. Man...how did you decide on your shade. I'm just about ready to flip a coin at this point and call it done. Thanks to everyone who responded. You guys came up with some great suggestions!