HybridZ

Redoing interior.. what's this rubbery plastic stuff?

Iceman

I have a 1970 240z.. Getting ready to start on my interior as part of the reZurection. I noticed this rubbery plastic stuff that is kind of a coating over the transmission tunnel. I imagine it is some sort of sound and/or heat insulator. I'd figure it wise to leave it there, but it is starting to break away under the console area. Should I just leave it as-is and re-carpet over it, or should I strip it all away and replace it with something else? Anyone discover this when doing the interior of their Z and have any advice?

3 opinions = good for me.

It seems to be stuck pretty good. It's only coming off in pieces about the size of a quarter at a time. Anyone know an "easy" way, or should I just post when I figure it out myself? :mrgreen:

I was thinking of maybe shooting some penetrating oil along the edges and see if it seeps into the glue.

chisel and hammer sounds about right. it takes TIME.

when i did mine, i found chisel and hammer was quicker and cleaner than heating it with a heat gun and scrap it off. If ur real good like me, jab the chisel in the edge of it and push it along the metal, then it'll flake off the entire row. Be careful not to chisel through the metal though if ur goin to use a hammer.

I got lucky on the drivers side of my car.

The floor would get SO HOT during the day, that my foot was starting to rub off some of the tar.

One day, I decided that the sticky clump was really annoying while driving, so I tried pulling it off, and ended up pulling up ALL the tar mat on the drivers side floor (but it left a black residue all over the place)

however +1 for dry ice.

Well, I am now about 1/3rd of the way through removing it. Ended up being a classic example of spotting a tool and saying "hey, i'll bet that'll work". I am using a hosehold moulding pry bar as a chisel. Turns out most of it is pretty brittle as I get towards the middle, so it is coming off pretty easily. The floorboards are a different story. I'll probably drop the dry ice on them. Thanks for the input everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished. :twothumbs"

Thanks for all of the input. After grabbing a putty knife instead of the pry-bar that I was using, it started going faster. I think the pry-bar is too thick to work optimally. It's nice to see all of that bare metal, but it's even nice to see that it's almost rust free. Can't wait to roll bed-liner onto it and get some sound mat in there. I'll get a pic up later. Yet again it amazes me with the condition that it's in for being an early edition 1970.

Well, I am now about 1/3rd of the way through removing it. Ended up being a classic example of spotting a tool and saying "hey, i'll bet that'll work". I am using a hosehold moulding pry bar as a chisel. Turns out most of it is pretty brittle as I get towards the middle, so it is coming off pretty easily. The floorboards are a different story. I'll probably drop the dry ice on them. Thanks for the input everyone!

Takes about 2 hours with an air chissel.

Here are a couple pics. The floorpan area isnt cleaned up yet, I just threw down some rustoleum primer to protect the bare metal for now. You can see there's still a bunch of leftover spots here and there.

picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=1405

picture.php?albumid=174&pictureid=1404

I didnt get any dry-ice since I am just doing this a little bit at a time and a little chizel I made out of a putty knife is going pretty quick. The whole right half of the hatch area took me about 20 min.