HybridZ

I wonder how your all feeling about this...

78280z

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Your" instead of "you're"?

DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Okay now for my rant:

I see improper usage of "your" more and more every day. I am sick of it. Since when did it become acceptable to use improper English? Sure, sure everyone uses slang in everyday conversations. But, I have seen "your" improperly used in advertising and professional documents all over the place lately. I find that to be absolutely ridiculous. How many people had to give the OK on those advertisements or documents that apparantly don't know proper english?! :bonk:

Does anyone else find it annoying?

Wrong cases, apostrophe abuse, muddled contractions, lack of punctuation, capitalization...

Pet peeves, all of them.

Huge irritation: 'You guy's" pronounced 'you guyziz' as a possessive case statement.

's instead of 're in possessive case when referring to plural...

their they're there...

It's spelled 'SPEECH', not 'speach'. Cars use BRAKES to stop, not breaks...you don't want your car breaking in order to stop.

SuspenSion, not suspention.

'For SALE', not 'For sell.' Sell is a verb, sale is a noun.

Elimination of 'to be' in a sentence; 'It needs TO BE fixed', not 'It needs fixed'.

I swear, I want to beat people senseless with a dictionary and a 4th grade grammar book at times.

Look, my writing and speech isn't perfect, but there are set standards and proper forms of communication. Showing people that you care about their ability to understand you is done through attention to detail in your writing and verbal communication. It's called courtesy. The more you deviate from that set standard, the harder it is for others to understand you.

Wrong cases, apostrophe abuse, muddled contractions, lack of punctuation, capitalization...

Pet peeves, all of them.

Huge irritation: 'You guy's" pronounced 'you guyziz' as a possessive case statement.

's instead of 're in possessive case when referring to plural...

their they're there...

It's spelled 'SPEECH', not 'speach'. Cars use BRAKES to stop, not breaks...you don't want your car breaking in order to stop.

SuspenSion, not suspention.

'For SALE', not 'For sell.' Sell is a verb, sale is a noun.

Elimination of 'to be' in a sentence; 'It needs TO BE fixed', not 'It needs fixed'.

I swear, I want to beat people senseless with a dictionary and a 4th grade grammar book at times.

Look, my writing and speech isn't perfect, but there are set standards and proper forms of communication. Showing people that you care about their ability to understand you is done through attention to detail in your writing and verbal communication. It's called courtesy. The more you deviate from that set standard, the harder it is for others to understand you.

Oh my god, ALL OF THOSE are huge pet peeves of mine. I don't have perfect grammar, but I feel like I have better grammar than most people.

Fortunately, the 3 forums I visit most frequently all have memberships with at least decent grammar... there's a regional board I go on occasionally, that you would swear was comprised entirely of elementary school students. It's awful. What's worse is some of these people are police officers, business owners, etc. I have a very hard time taking these people seriously when they make simple spelling mistakes, or don't even TRY to type properly.

Let me hammer another one home here: You need only ONE question mark to indicate inquisitive case. I'm not sure where on earth the tendency for people to put two, three or even five or six question marks after a question came from. It takes LESS effort on the writer's part to type punctuation when done properly. If you wish to add emphasis, follow it with an exclamation point.

What is it with that?!

See what I did there?

Another one I can NOT wrap my mind around, and I've mentioned this before: People Who Type Like This - They Capitalize Every Word That They Write. I've Seen It From Far Too Many People For It To Be An Isolated Thing. It Bugs Me More Than All Caps Or No Caps At All; My Mind Pauses And Starts A New Sentence With Each Capital Letter. It's Incredibly Annoying To Read, And Requires A Shift Key Strike With Evey Word. It's Not Lazy, It's Excessive! That's What I Dont' Get.

tHeN tHEre ArE tHe AlTernaTing CaPs cloWNs. You people need to be dragged out into a busy street and shot.

• Administrators
Let me hammer another one home here: You need only ONE question mark to indicate inquisitive case.

Guilty. I find myself doing such a thing when I'm having a head scratch moment. Example... WTF???

Edited by RTz

Let me hammer another one home here: You need only ONE question mark to indicate inquisitive case. I'm not sure where on earth the tendency for people to put two, three or even five or six question marks after a question came from. It takes LESS effort on the writer's part to type punctuation when done properly. If you wish to add emphasis, follow it with an exclamation point.

What is it with that?!

See what I did there?

Another one I can NOT wrap my mind around, and I've mentioned this before: People Who Type Like This - They Capitalize Every Word That They Write. I've Seen It From Far Too Many People For It To Be An Isolated Thing. It Bugs Me More Than All Caps Or No Caps At All; My Mind Pauses And Starts A New Sentence With Each Capital Letter. It's Incredibly Annoying To Read, And Requires A Shift Key Strike With Evey Word. It's Not Lazy, It's Excessive! That's What I Dont' Get.

tHeN tHEre ArE tHe AlTernaTing CaPs cloWNs. You people need to be dragged out into a busy street and shot.

Some forums convert all caps to capitalizing each word.

Guilty. I find myself doing such a thing when I'm having a head scratch moment. Example... WTF???

I happen to like multiple ????. I think it adds emphasis, and hopefuly communicates a confused and or, an intense interest.

• Administrators

Turning into my favorite non tech thread yet! :2thumbs:

I’ll be the first to admit, I suck at the grammar, :wink:. I do make an effort to post legibly, clearly, and clarify anything that could be confusing to others, making an effort to capitalize, punctuate, (I do over use the triple dot...), I’m sure my posts would barely pass middle school. :lmao:

When I see someone post a question with NO effort in punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and especially when they use that immature IM crap, and they are expecting a thorough professional answer, the hair on the back of my neck stands straight up and it’s all I can do not to just tear into them, both shift keys a blazing… sarcasticclap.gif