HybridZ

Nistune Questions: Get them answered here

Xylemer

I have noticed a number of people that have questions about Nistune. I would like to help those who have questions or need anything cleared up.

I will do my best to answer these questions and if I do not know the answer, I will try to find it.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

-Andy (Xylemer)

• 3 weeks later...

Xylemer,

Do you know if I can get my custom JIM Wolf tuned Z31 ECU program flased on to a NISTUNE Chip/ ECU? In other words, I would like to send them my 88 NA ECU with the Jim Wolf fuel/timing maps and have them copy it on to the converted Nistune ECU, do you know if this can be done? This would cut down on my tuning time when I turn up the boost. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Kash, Do you know if the JWT chip is coded or scrambled?

If its not then you could probably do it yourself. All you would need to do is read the JWT chip load it into the nistune software and cut in paste the maps. Or even just hit the upload button. The Nistune software is really nice. The only problem I can see is if JWT edited some value that nistune would have locked so that you can not edit it. These are usually stupid things like the AC fan temp trigger and stuff most people would never mess with. If you want those things editable the guys at nistune can just enable them before they ship you the daughter card.

I think nistune is pretty awesome for the new 32bit ecus like those found in the 240sx and z32. The 8bit(one prom chip) ECUs I think its over kill. You can get a emulator and a prom burner for about the same price. And there are other cheaper alternatives.

Have you looked into the opensource M30/U12 daughter board that has been devloped at hybridka.com?

http://eccs.hybridka.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1568&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=open+nvsram

http://eccs.hybridka.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1834&p=9860&hilit=open+nvsram#p9817

It can do more or less the same stuff as nistune and I think its a little cheaper. The M30 ECU also has the consult cable. Im unsure as to which Z31 ecu's have the diag port.

-Avery

It can do more or less the same stuff as nistune and I think its a little cheaper. The M30 ECU also has the consult cable. Im unsure as to which Z31 ecu's have the diag port.

-Avery

I am pretty sure no z31 ecu has Consult. The M30 is a good option though.. z32's can be used but that is a little more involved. CAS sensor mods, coil on plug, ect.

I have a socketed M30 ecu if you are interested.

I am sorry I did not answer you Kash, for some reason I was not notified when you posted your reply.

It looks like your question was answered correctly. I do have access to a chip burner and we could try pulling off the tune and using it. After all you paid good money for it.

Nistune does have other features besides its tuning capabilities. When you use a NIStune type one board, you basically turn your ecu into a consult compatible ecu allowing you to do things like check codes.

I do not know much about the m30/u12 ecus. I may go do some reading.

• 4 months later...

I am using an 84 Turbo ECU that seems to stumble at exactly 3K rpm. In addition, it also has a weird idle with an occassional slight miss. I plugged in an 86 NA ECU and it idles fine with much smoother performance than the 84 turbo ECU (I did not drive under boost of course). I'm thinking something is wrong with the 84 ECU and I would like to move the chip containing the turbo maps to the 86 ECU. Are they the same chip, and will that even work? I know there are circuits on the board like the detonation sensor that are not present on the NA ECU, but I really don't use them anyway in my L28ET configuration.

Any help rocks,

-Stan

I would not recommend swapping chips. Each chip is specific for each ecu.

You could, however, you use the maps off the 84 ecu if you want. To do this you will either need Nistune or a chip burner.

Nistune will basically make your ecu function as a stand alone. You will be able to tune your ecu to your liking in real-time.

If you go with chip burning, you can use a rom editor and modify the 86 ecu rom by using the timing maps, fuel maps, and load scales from the 84 turbo rom. Then burn this to a chip and install it into your 86 ecu.

Feel free to call me if you need more details.

615-796-6234

Thanks,

Andy

Hey Stan. what are the model numbers of the ECU's?

You can check them with the JWT pdf here-->http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/ECU-ID.PDF

Also check that both ECU's look the same inside. I know there is not many differences between the Z32 ECU's but I'm not to familiar with the Z31's.

You could also get both bins and do a hex diff on them. This would show you the parts of the files that are different. If they are compatable the only differences would be the maps and stuff.

I don't think it could hurt much if you just tried moving the chip.

Do you think the tune could be doing this? Maybe the tunner gave up a little drivablity down low for the added control up high.

-Avery

Just checked JWT. Both ECUS are from an 84. One turbo, one NA both manual, both federal emissions. I think the main difference inside will be the daughter board for the det/knock sensor, but I'm about to crack them open and find out. I'll post a pic tonight to compare. I know this was a bit of a thread jack as I am not using Nistune yet. I figured the Nistune community would have the best knowlege of the chips and their compatibility. Nistune is not off the table, but I need a decent ECU to start with. I am hoping the NA ECU board with the Turbo chip might work.

This is a stock tune at this point. I am hoping the problem with the Turbo ECU is with the board.

The board have the same printed circuit, there are a few differences. Does anyone know what these chips/circuits control on the Turbo board? The NA case is missing Speed Sensor, Neutral Switch and Detonation sensor diagnostic codes...

Here the NA (mainboard I think) showing some empty spots.

2471.jpg

Here's a large empty area on what I believe is the NA's "daughter" board.

med_2470.jpg

Here are the same shots of the Turbo ECU.

2469.jpg

med_2468.jpg

Edited by Swervey McZCar
Adding Pics

I can't see your pics right now because of the forum software upgrade.

if you look at the boards both main and knock there should be some sort of version number on each.

I bet your NA ecu is just missing the hardware to do knock sensing.

If you go on hybridka.com and ask deviouska he will know. list your ecu model numbers please.

-Avery

I can't see your pics right now because of the forum software upgrade.

if you look at the boards both main and knock there should be some sort of version number on each.

I bet your NA ecu is just missing the hardware to do knock sensing.

If you go on hybridka.com and ask deviouska he will know. list your ecu model numbers please.

-Avery

Cool. I fixed my pics.. I believe the boards are the same with the exceptions you noted. I would love to know where I can find the bins for these two boards. I am seriously considering Nistune if I can't make something work. I had originally performed the Z31 ECU swap to enable the use of Nistune, but I've wasted allot of time with a bad ECU and another turbo ECU that is flaky at best. My NA ECU runs and drives perfectly.

NA: A18 631 504

Turbo : A18 635 374

Andy,

For installing Nistune, should I start with the 84 NA ECU, or begin with an 88-89 NA ecu if possible?

If I socket the 84 and decide later I want to upgrade to the 88-89 how much would that cost??

Thanks all,

-Stan

Edited by Swervey McZCar

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying Nistune from Andy. I shipped him my 84 ECU last Monday and got it back today. The type 1 boards now get returned to you with the ECUs factory tune, so all I had to do was crank the car and push an 84 Turbo tune to it. Man that is easy. I look forward to experimenting with some more aggressive timing at low revs. I am at a little disadvantage because the ECU does not have knock detection, but that function does not work under boost anyway. I just have to be careful. The car (79 w/L28ET) is running great! When this car gets an intercooler and I turn up the boost, stand-alone knock detection and/or methanol injection will probably fit in the mix or I might move this board to a 88-89 ECU.

Thanks Andy!

I am glad everything turned out as planned. I think Nistune is an awesome product and I do not say that just because I sell it, I use it as well. I would never push something, if I did not have full faith in it.

Thanks for the compliments Stan. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. I sell more than just Nistune, so think of me if you need anything else. ;)

-Andy

• 1 year later...

I've had about 10 m30 ecus (5 got stolen) and found intermittence issues with about half of them.

Luckily 3 of the 5 stolen had the issues but sadly one was a california ecu that was yanked forcefully off of the car without unscrewing the bolt which ruined my harness connector.

That said, I snipped the M30 harness and fit it to the L28et in my M30 car in one day and tossed in stock 280zx turbo injectors (using dropping resistors) and the car runs rich for a few seconds on cold startup before the o2 sensor comes on which causes the M30 ecu to pull fuel.

I'm not really sure how much fuel the m30ecu can pull but I've put 28k miles on this ecu with a L28et and only had issues from running too much initial timing and a bad thermostat.

It's not fully necessary but, to get all the benefits from the m30 ecu, you will need to make sure you get the firing order correct for the injectors since the m30 ecu is sequential.

• 1 year later...

I know a guy selling everything i need for my l28et z31 ecu swap. He had nistune on his z31 turbo. My question is, can i use the stock ecu (and parameters) after the nistune was installed? Or would i be better off just getting the nistune along with it?

Thanks for the input

Andy,,

I had Nistune on my 95 s14 that got stolen. I know have a 74 260z. I have collected all turbo parts to as in a 83 turbo ecu. What are my options as using a Nistune? Do I have to go to 88-89 turbo ecu and distributor?

My 95 S14 had a S15 motor with a 6 speed, it did not have a consult so had to put one on my S15 ecu. Worked great. 

I know a guy selling everything i need for my l28et z31 ecu swap. He had nistune on his z31 turbo. My question is, can i use the stock ecu (and parameters) after the nistune was installed? Or would i be better off just getting the nistune along with it?

Thanks for the input

If I understand what you are asking, then yes.... you will just need to load the stock parameters on the Nistune board and it will run a stock car. Not sure I understand your second question. 

Feel free to call or text me at 615-796-6234.... I can be hard to reach at times, but sometimes it is easier to answer questions over the phone. I do not get on Hybridz often enough. 

-Andy

Andy,,

I had Nistune on my 95 s14 that got stolen. I know have a 74 260z. I have collected all turbo parts to as in a 83 turbo ecu. What are my options as using a Nistune? Do I have to go to 88-89 turbo ecu and distributor?

My 95 S14 had a S15 motor with a 6 speed, it did not have a consult so had to put one on my S15 ecu. Worked great. 

Sorry about your car.... that SUCKS! 

As far as using Nistune on your 74, I would highly recommend going with the later model ECU. The 86-87 are not bad either, but I prefer the 88-89... much easier to mod for Nistune and different MAF set-ups.