HybridZ

94-95gt 5.0 question

Guest Chachi594

Guest Chachi594

Been stalking for months now. Finally have only 6 mo. left in school and looking into the swap. (also my first post... i'm shy)

I did some research to see that it looks like the problem is that ECU (i think) with my 5.0 isn't the best; and that the better unit would be from the 88-92 stangs.

MY QUESTION IS What would be the best way to combat this to make sure my 5.0 is running strong before I drop it into a Z. Could I pick up a unit from one of these ponies and swap it out to make my 5.0 run like a champ before the swap?

I don't know about the ECUs but you asked about making sure the 5.0 is running strong before the swap. I have a 90 5.0 myself that I want to swap into my Z but I to have to wait until I finish school. What I was gonna do is pull the engine and trans out of the Mustang while I drive the Z around and replace all the gaskets and seals on the engine and depending on what I see with the internals when I remove the oil pan I would also do rings and bearings. I was also gonna do a little porting on the exhaust side of the heads since I'll have them off anyways and I'll have the time to spare before I can swap it in since there's a lot of chassis work I want to have complete for that.

Guest Gr8White
Been stalking for months now. Finally have only 6 mo. left in school and looking into the swap. (also my first post... i'm shy)

I did some research to see that it looks like the problem is that ECU (i think) with my 5.0 isn't the best; and that the better unit would be from the 88-92 stangs.

MY QUESTION IS What would be the best way to combat this to make sure my 5.0 is running strong before I drop it into a Z. Could I pick up a unit from one of these ponies and swap it out to make my 5.0 run like a champ before the swap?

The 94-95 intakes are restrictive, ford redesigned this around the SN-95 platform. It's mass airflow though. Get a cast GT-40 intake from an Explorer 5.0 and you should be good. Do a compression check on the engine first thing....

• 4 months later...

The ECU will be just fine, you can also get the wiring harness, pigtail behind dash harness to the ECU and ECU from a 96+ Explorer 5.0 and modify it to work with your 5.0L and thats it.

Now you are running a safe and easily tunable OBDII ECU instead of the 94/95 OBDI.

Thats not to say the 94/95 OBDI ECU is bad, its just not tunable with a hand held tuner like a SCT or Diablo unit.

Guest Gr8White

I believe if you are looking to upgrade the electronics, your mass airflow sensor would be the first item to upgrade, these are very restrictive as well and you should pick up some good HP per dollar spent.