HybridZ

cost for an LSx 240Z swap

Questions are fine. Just understand you are kind of getting the red carpet treatment here. Nobody has sent you back to the search engine yet.

Go here: http://www.hpsalvage.com/

Click on LT1/LS1 and read up on the motors. What was mentioned before about LS6 vs. LS2 is a displacement issue. You can basically turn an LS1 into an LS6 with a cam and heads, both are 5.7L. However, LS2 is 6.0L, LS3 6.2, and LS7 7.0L. So, mod for mod, there is no replacement for displacement.

But here, just bid on this and your problems will be solved. Maybe they have a low reserve. It is close enough you could probably pick it up. Then just zip tie a license plate on it and drive it home. I bet the cops wouldn't care. Its a project right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300337593861&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

:)

Edited by maichor
My own typos annoy me

So far I've got about 27k into parts labor upgrades and the car doesn't run. Did I intend on spending that much? No, did i buy while I'm at it parts? Yes. However with dropping as much as I have/did you don't have much left to upgrade or tune on the car. its not cheap, nor for the faint of heart.

OOO! Maichor, that site is PERFECT! it has a TON of information about the LS engines, and it also sells them! that site is exactly like what I was looking for!

and thank you auxiliary, that does help me a pretty good amount. I'm starting to get somewhat of a figure to expect. this looks a good bit more affordable than it seems.

I believe I will just go with an LS1 since they seem to be cheaper and they are plentiful, and as maichor said, it won't take much to turn it into an LS6. I was most likely going to do a cam and valve spring upgrade, anyway, so might as well go with better heads to get a bit of extra power.

it's looking more and more like I'm going to take a welding class at the local community college next summer so I can learn how to do that. I definately want to learn so I'll know what to do when the time comes. I'm really feeling positive about this. I'm looking forward to learning how to do this, and of course, the end product. I just need to keep my head down and finish school so I will be able to pay for it all! ha.

Joseph.

I did the '80's T-bird, swap, same basic rack as Mustang2 that all the hot rodders use with the stock Camaro pump. The racks can be had junkyard for $40 or new for about $200. Blueovalz had a nice writeup about his setup. There is also a Subaru rack and probably a few others that can be swapped in. Mine won't apply to JCI kits since I did not keep my crossmember stock.

I am surprised this site is still up. This was like 6 years ago that I did this.

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/mounts2a.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/maichor75104/mounts1a.JPG

Edited by maichor
added pics

I have spent about $14,000 so far and the engine isn't even in. Its a D1SC Procharged Ls1 from a 2004 GTO.

Where did you spend the majority of your money then, and how much more do you have to go? I am not sure what swap I want to do, leaning towards a LS3 personally.

Be careful...start calculating costs before you start AND IT WILL kill the project. ;)

Start out by making a plan, once you have one you will be able to price items you will need for your project. There are always extra costs...but once you are into it it becomes part of the whole deal and you don't even notice.

Soon, you become like a crazy zed junky and all you think about is getting that next part and putting it on. :mrgreen: But there's more..... You are never done, because you will always see more potential and find better parts, or even break stuff that needs to be replaced...see what I mean about not trying to measure costs?

Just plan your project like a vacation...come up with a dollar figure you are comfortable spending, then decide which engine/drive-train options you have from there. Then have at it! But never add up the costs!! You don't want to have any evidence that you spent way too much on your project. :burnout:

You guys are both confusing me. Kidi, the first time you ask about the $14K you were quoting 73DatsunZ from post#14 in post #26. Aux's total was $7K or so in post #20. Then you quote Aux from post #27 but you are still asking about 73DatsunZ's $14k figure. Go to page one and I think you can get a good total for each car. For what it is worth, I believe 73DatsunZ meant including the engine, but he has yet to respond.

Edited by maichor
Even more confusing. Tried to clean it up.

Maybe my question was poorly worded, the 14K that you spent so far on your car does the include the money you put down to buy the engine. Or does that raise your total cost up to 18, 500.

Uh, my total WITH engine combo was $7500. I think you should go back to page 1 and re-read my post.

• 1 year later...

You can spend as much as you want, but if you want to get the car running with no wild mods then you will save a ton. Car $600 rust free, no engine or trans. Doner car (Z28) 1999 with T-56. 2k. JCI parts $435

$600

$2000

$435

other needed parts lets say $500

total cost of running 240Z w/ LS1 and T-56

$3535

Dont get me wong, I dont think any one here did that. I dont even want to think about how much has gone in the car already. Our March pullie were 2k alone and not to mention all the other mods done to the engine, trans, rear end, suspension, etc.

My Excel spreadsheet at work covers the costs for pretty much everything. This also includes ME doing all the labor, including body work and paint...

Body work/paint

Interior work

LS1 Build

T56 Build

R200 Diff Build

JCI Motor/Tranny Mounts

AZ Z Car Suspension/Brakes/Diff Mount

Fuel System

Tuning

There are MANY details involved for each part of the build. I HIGHLY suggest you do A TON more research. Not to be mean, but you obviously have not researched this like I did for a couple years before diving into the project. Research, save your money, and start the build when you have the knowledge and funds to get it done.

My total build budget right now is right at $27,000.

Thanks.

I am not trying to be rude or impolite, but when I was in my late teens to twenties ! a long time ago I threw money at every car, jeep or truck I every owned. i worked at Jack in the BOX and UPS to pay for everything including rent !! HOT RODDING can not be done cheap, yes it can be done on a budget. Most guys that I know who do budget swaps have money invested in TOOLS, parts connections and buddies with know how. If you do not have two of three in my opinion, get you a second job, and another credit card because $10,000.00 will be your starting point. If your concern right at this moment is how much is it going to cost? you will not enjoy the build process.

I am not trying to be rude or impolite, but when I was in my late teens to twenties ! a long time ago I threw money at every car, jeep or truck I every owned. i worked at Jack in the BOX and UPS to pay for everything including rent !! HOT RODDING can not be done cheap, yes it can be done on a budget. Most guys that I know who do budget swaps have money invested in TOOLS, parts connections and buddies with know how. If you do not have two of three in my opinion, get you a second job, and another credit card because $10,000.00 will be your starting point. If your concern right at this moment is how much is it going to cost? you will not enjoy the build process.

I agree with you. We are building this are and I am really enjoying it. Its the journey that is fun. Yes the car will be fun, but have a great time doing it.

Let see, I've got $7500 + in just the body of my car (and it doesn't have paint!), around another $5K in just the engine, not including the transmission. (SBC 383 stroker) Suspension $who knows, rear LSD set up $who knows. Interior plastics, seats, gagues, tires and wheels....you see the list goes on and on. $10K ain't crap if your building a potent 1st gen car that is going to be able to stand up to the abuse of 400-500 HP. Don't forget your brakes either!!!

Build link