HybridZ

need year models plz!?!?

Butters

If you are looking for the LSD,

The Z31s need to be Kouki [87-89] turbo cars and those are all N/A Zenkis. Koukis have the single light bar on the back, they don't come down near the outside like the zenkis.

The blue car in this pic is a kouki, look for those lights and it'll say 'turbo' somewhere on the rear.

31220270109_medium.jpg

Not sure about the 240sxs. There are several diff lists with spine counts and gear listings, you just need to search.

If you do find one it'll have a finned diff cover.

i would have not asked this if there were tags on the engine bay they were removed for some odd reason. maybe i should of mention this in the begging. sorry about that. but so that blue on is the one. cool that helps alot. but i'[m going to get that one and the one from the 40sx. but yes i do know i still need to research the years for the ratio. thank you guys again. atleast i do not have to drop every diff to find the one i won't but i might have to jsut to find the ratio...........

The VIN tags likely got pulled, but the actual dataplates usually are not. Usually they are stickers on the hood or firewall.

Again, keep in mind that not every car has an LSD in it, they are pretty rare.

glad my phone is bad ass enough to get the updates from here lol. cuz i was looking out there and started to look on the hoods that were there and around the firewall. thank you i did not know those tags were there! i have only delt with s30 so ya.....

The Z31s need to be Kouki [87-89] turbo cars and those are all N/A Zenkis. Koukis have the single light bar on the back, they don't come down near the outside like the zenkis.

The blue car in this pic is a kouki, look for those lights and it'll say 'turbo' somewhere on the rear.

31220270109_medium.jpg

ok the blue one had a open rear(86) as per the end cuz if i'm corret(& most the time i'm not on this kinda stuff) if you turn one wheel clock wise, the other wheel should turn counter clock wise. then still turning one wheel clock wise, then hold the other will still. only 1 wheel should spin.

but there is one car that showed up today lucky and it was the kouki but its a 10-86 so that makes it a 87 right. cuz don't the year split for cars. aren't they 6or7?? or is it earier then that??

so i tested the diff by spinning one wheel clock wise. low and behold the other wheel spun counter. but i did set on wheel on the gound and tried to turn the one that was up in the air. IT DID NOT SPIN. sooo dose that mean its a lsd ?????

I could not get to the 240 to check them so i have no clue on them

Ok, when looking for a Junkyard LSD, turning the wheels on the car in the air is one way to figure it out.

NON LSD will spin in opposite directions.

LSD will spin in the same direction.

If you hold one wheel of a NON LSD differential still, WITH THE DRIVESHAFT DISCONNECTED, the other wheel will still turn.

If the driveshaft is connected still, it's gonna be pretty hard to turn just one wheel, since you are also turning the driveshaft and anything connected to it.

IF you hold one wheel of an LSD still, with the driveshaft unhooked, the other wheel will be really hard to turn. It MAY still turn, depending on the type of LSD.

I didn't post this earlier because I didn't know the exact facts, but the 87 cars only had it for certain months, look for the finned cover on the Z31s.

An '87' car made in 86 *shouldn't* have it. The information is out there you just need to search some Z31 sites or google. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned here as well.

Save yourself some effort jacking up cars and search ;)

I didn't post this earlier because I didn't know the exact facts, but the 87 cars only had it for certain months, look for the finned cover on the Z31s.

ok that one had a smooth cover. but i thought i read some where in the sticky some where deep into the conversation. i found there was a guy that had a lsd that had a smooth cover ?? or did i jsut read it wrong. i'll go hunting again & again & again....oh and again did i mention again??

well went to the junk yard today and told the guy witch diff i wanted. he told me that i could not have that one. so i told him i wanted to look at the diff from the blue 300 ( in the pics above) & asked to pull the cover off. i know it was a open anyways but. found it was a 3.90 ratio and its a 12 mm bolt carrier. so i'll jsut do my lsd swap later.

but i do have one thing to ask now... on this k r180 pic (thanks to jmortensen sticky) what is the purpose of the center peice between the gears????

i did not see a K on my diff housing so i jsut thinks its a r-200.

KR180snapincarrier.jpg