HybridZ

ld28 keyway

lurch632

hi everyone. so i finally got the majority of my stroker project parts here and all the machine work done on the block. so it just about time for assymbly. however i had a few questions.

first the crank has the 3 half moon indentations for the keyway. i have heard this is the same as the stock crank or atleast that the stock timing chain sprocket and oil drive will fit. however i do not have a stock crank anymore and i dont know where to get a new keyway so that it can be installed. does anyone know anything that could help me out?

also i wanted to know how many of you ended up notching the block for rod clearance. i only have a 87mm bore and i think that left a little more material for the rods to contact because they seem like they are going to touch if only just slightly. i wont really know untill i get everything mocked up and test it for sure. i was seeing if anyone had any incite on this aswell. thanks

edit: also looking for a bellhousing for the BW or tremec t-5 tranny. got one with a mustang housing im pretty sure. anyone know where i could get one?

Courtesy Nissan can help you out. The local Nissan dealer can help too. If I had a spare woodruff key I'd send it to you for reference. The keys are alike for L and LD. Take the crank and lower timing gear to the parts store and go through their key selection. A local auto machine shop should be able and willing to help you. I used the LD block for my build so clearance is not an issue for me. I'd ensure you have a good clearance so notching the block may be mandatory in your case. Can't help with the bellhousing.

...also i wanted to know how many of you ended up notching the block for rod clearance. I only have a 87mm bore...

The clearance issue is also a function of what connecting rods you will be using. The 9mm connecting rods will have less clearance to the block than the 8mm rods.

thanks for the help with the key. i had ordered one from a company on the internet with a few of my other parts but it didn't fit when it got here. ill go and check with the dealership this week. as for the clearance i am sure i will have to notch out the block a bit i was just curious as to others experiences with it since i hadn't read much about it in any of the build threads.