HybridZ

Is my turbo toast?

ArizonaZ

I opened up my turbo tonight to find some cracks, a broken bolt, and a chip on the hot side of my turbo. I know that the T3 has a problem with cracks developing around the wastegate. Are my cracks to big to run/fix, and is the chip in the turbine, a chip or was it taken out for balancing?

Thanks for any input.

Crack2Small.jpg

Cracked.jpg

ChipSmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cracks in the turbine housing can be welded. No problem.

The section missing on the CHRA in the last picture was removed by the tech who balanced the assembly when it was put together. AFAIK, it is basically done with a grinder. The wheel has an excessively long "snout" to allow it to be ground down in this manner to achieve the balance.

In summary, you only have the one problem (a crack in the turbine) and that can be welded by an auto-savvy TIG welder. They weld them all the time on Subaru's which are also prone to cracks.

I would assume that it would cause problems building boost if the cracks are severe enough. They would allow the exhaust gasses to leak around the wastegate and not go into the turbine. Although it might not cause any problems if the metal expands when it gets hot and closes the cracks. I'm not to sure on any of that, just thinking out loud.

I've seen literally hundreds of turbine housings cracked around the wastegate. In fact, when we had one come through the shop that WASN'T cracked, it was rare. In the cases that I would see the same engine a few years later for another overhaul, I never observed the cracks getting much worse until years later. Eventually the gasses will erode the metal around the crack, but that will take years and years, and 4 or 5 rebuilds later, and everything else will be worn out 3 times by then. This observation is based on my experience with marine and industrial diesel engines, and the housings in question were typically run red hot, 24/7, at full load for around 10,000 hours only shutting down every few days for an oil change. Then overhauled whether they needed it or not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't believe it would effect boost whatsoever, unless it was big enough to stick a pencil through.

I've seen literally hundreds of turbine housings cracked around the wastegate. In fact, when we had one come through the shop that WASN'T cracked, it was rare. In the cases that I would see the same engine a few years later for another overhaul, I never observed the cracks getting much worse until years later. Eventually the gasses will erode the metal around the crack, but that will take years and years, and 4 or 5 rebuilds later, and everything else will be worn out 3 times by then. This observation is based on my experience with marine and industrial diesel engines, and the housings in question were typically run red hot, 24/7, at full load for around 10,000 hours only shutting down every few days for an oil change. Then overhauled whether they needed it or not. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't believe it would effect boost whatsoever, unless it was big enough to stick a pencil through.

Yep, pretty much for sports cars as well. I'd say the CHRA gets worn out before it's too bad. Performance guys are a little more picky about spool, so most get fixed when they're found, but I've never heard of a failure from the crack.