HybridZ

My complete Interior restoration/revival

streeteg

Over the past 2-3 months every weekend I have been sweaeting over this interior to get it just right--- It has made it through 2 stages of ugly and finally landed where I think it should be. Same way I did my first project car. Its Friday night at 11:30, I am TIRED as can be- but here are 2 teasers of the finished product before I go into more detail of the build tomorrow night.

Just some cliffs notes-- The entire dash was and accesory pieces were wrapped in alcantara/suede (Black). All lighting was replaced with outstanding pieces from SuperBrightLEDs (before and afters will be shown) Switches were relocated to a custom piece where the changeholder is. Radio mounted between the trans tunnel and the driver seat, and the addition of a Uego, some paint, some monkey bars and a whole lot of sweat and blood.

interior2.JPG

switchplate.JPG

OK so my diff fell on my camera during the install today, so the pics kinda suck but they arent bad.

So on with the story! When I picked up the car-- Here is what I walked into-- YIKES

olddash.jpg

So after a little bit of cleaning up-- some carpet and some paint and some additionanl gofast parts this is what I ended up with:

resize.JPG

Not bad-- just I was never a big fan of interior. For all my last cars I always ripped it out and painted it--I cant help it-- just a habit. STill a street car , but I love the way it looks, the function of the lost weight--and did i say it turns heads?

So on with the build-

First everything had to come out. The seats sat up too high, didnt bolster me around the truns, and frankly I am not a fan or corbeaus. Not to metion all of the freakin sound deadener this car had... LIke 5x my civic!!!! haha Anway This is what I was in for:

before.JPG

Panels out, Everything sanded, wires tucked, brides and new harnesses... Not to mention had to mod the roll bar. Took it to KrazyHouseCustoms in North Jersey and they added a roll bar for me. As you can see the bar was NOT the safest that was in there LOL but it was what came with the car:

new4.JPG

Anyway--- continue on-- I sourced some Brides, and Stroud Harnesses, some rustolem paint, and covered the dash in a wonderful black alcantar supplied by Joanne Fabrics for 30 bucks a Yard. Additionally the speakers w/ custom ported boxes in the storage bins behind the seats had mounts that were wrapped in that same alcantara as well as the switchplate you see in my first post.

stroudsandbrides.JPG

Now the dash was super cluttered before-- I hated it. So I took the radio and put it between the seat and the trans tunnel with a mount I fabbed out of simple sheet metal from home depot. It does not play CDs anymore but this 79.99 head unit from Target has the ability to read off of SD cards, and USB drives so its skip free and great (If any of you have that problem I recommend.

centerconsole.JPG

So a final shot w/ a little of the car in it as well-- lets you see what people see-- and you can imagine this type of thing is the difference between seeing a cool Z on the street from afar, and having to walk over and see what its all about... (At least in my opinion)

interiorpassenger.JPG

All work was done solely by me, and it felt really good to get it done. I am not that experienced with this type of stuff but I think it came out great. its not a show car, its not a race car its just some thing that I really really enjoy building (like cooler legos) and driving. I know the setup is not for everyone, but thats why its mine! It will see some track time (Drag) and maybe some autox if I can tune the suspenion by next year, but for the most part its a weekend beach goer with some pickup and I love it. Thanks for looking guys:

skylineandz.JPG

Oh-- and the wires are just from my pyrometer and oil temp guages that are not hooked up yet. Lastly I will post a pic of the lighting comparison on the autometers when iut gets dark- Really nice difference and will promote the place I bought em from which is always good in my opinion.

Thanks

I like it too.

The only thing you should reconsider is to mount your shoulder harness attachment lower. They are supposed to be some number of degrees below your shoulders - not above. John Coffey would spit this number out like he was blinking or breathing. A search on the scroth (SP?) website will find the reference that John always points to for proper harness placement.

I like it too.

The only thing you should reconsider is to mount your shoulder harness attachment lower. They are supposed to be some number of degrees below your shoulders - not above. John Coffey would spit this number out like he was blinking or breathing. A search on the scroth (SP?) website will find the reference that John always points to for proper harness placement.

You are correct, his are technically too high.

Source Schrothracing:http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

http://www.fiainstitute.com/documents/driver_guide.pdf

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Safety_at_the_track

If anyone can elaborate further on how injuries can occur based on harness mounting, I believe it would be helpful.

IF shoulder harnesses are lower than or greater than a 10 degree angle as you are thrown forward the force will compress your spine which could result in paralysis.

• 2 weeks later...