HybridZ

Maximum Bore of Sleeved L28 and LD28

nissan2ner831

haha I don't blame you for getting annoyed at the "cost is not a factor" threads, and I realize this is what this thread is. I'm not trying to say I know what I'm doing, or how it should be done. I'm just curious about many things, and in my spare time (which there is plenty of) I tend to think of many random things. I have a lot more knowledge concerning several different engines (including VG30DETT's and 4 cylinder VW and Porsche air cooled motors), but I'm fairly new to the L-series. I didn't figure there would be any harm in asking some questions about them =P

Like I've mentioned, theres no way I'm going to afford anything like this anytime soon, I'm a college student barely scraping by as it is, but we all like to dream don't we?? =P

I've built a LD into a petrol engine using the LD block, V07 crank, L20b rods and JE pistons. The bore is 85mm (+.020). This engine is as close to square as you can come without reworking the crank or tweaking piston diameter. It's still on the stand while I work out the intake system and supercharger mounting. Realistically, I should have invested in an LSx as the cost of this L6 is crazy stupid. The only reason I went this way is the sound of a L6 and the challenge. Performance won't match 5.7 liter to 6.0 liter displacement.

haha I don't blame you ....... I'm just curious about many things, and in my spare time (which there is plenty of) I tend to think of many random things.

I hear you loud and clear; I am the same way, which is why I chimed in, searched for the datum I wanted to tell you, and gave it to you. The bore spacing is what determines the wall thickness (given your "no holds barred" approach) and there is NO better way to drive home the upper limit on bore diameter better than to paint the picture of a crankshaft with conrods and pistons on it... When those pistons are of a diameter too high to line up . If you could manage to spin this crankshaft outside of an engine block, it would probably make a wicked sounding bell for about three seconds..... KA-LINKALINKALINKALINK!!!

Yeah Daeron, and your information was informative, thank you =P It was mostly in response to Josh (not trying to go after him, just explaining my reasoning for asking some questions on very advanced builds on an L6).

I know that it is way more cost effective to build a V8, I just like doing things that are a bit more unique (hence how I got into the world of Porsches...I currently own a Porsche 912 and was intending on sticking a VW Type 4 engine into it, but the costs were astronomical...8k at least for body restoration as my Porsche is in bad shape, and another 12k easily for the engine (not a stock Type 4 of course =P)...I have a serious bug for wanting to work on cars, and I just don't have those kind of resources to do it...besides I've always been more into Japanese cars than german cars =P). I ruled out the V8 conversion just because I know so many people have done it, and I can't deny it makes for a very nice car, but another thing is all my friends are into the whole "american muscle" thing, and in reality I've always been the one who was more interested in the Import scene, and I have liked the 240Z for a while. Just a personal decision to go with the stock L6, if I was going for the most efficient possibility I would have chosen a different enginen of course =P

Sure you may not see it as being worth the amount of labor and money you put in but someone else did:

j6hnk0.jpg

That is a drag motor from a s30 drag car in japan. Its street registered, run's 55mm ITB's and makes 375hp at the wheels.

Yes, you can make that sort of power out of n/a L's without going to stupid bore/stroke lengths - that motor is a LD28 crank and bored to 3.2 litres. You are better off spending the money/time/effort in developing well flowing heads over trying to get more capacity. Buy up ten N42's, a tig welder to weld the chambers and spend 5 years developing them.

That is a drag motor from a s30 drag car in japan. Its street registered, run's 55mm ITB's and makes 375hp at the wheels.

Yes, you can make that sort of power out of n/a L's without going to stupid bore/stroke lengths - that motor is a LD28 crank and bored to 3.2 litres. You are better off spending the money/time/effort in developing well flowing heads over trying to get more capacity. Buy up ten N42's, a tig welder to weld the chambers and spend 5 years developing them.

You're missing my point big time. The point is that to some people, engine does matter. One can say well for the money that was put into that motor I could have done a monster v8, but guess what, apparently that guy didn't want to do that, he wanted an L engine.

Like I said before, I would never put a V8 or an RB in my 240. Why? because to me, the 240 marks the first of the evolution so I will keep the first pure.

"Buy up ten N42's, a tig welder to weld the chambers and spend 5 years developing them"

With the point I'm trying to make here is that someone crazier than I am would do that, but then there are some people that say well why do I want to do that, I'll toss in this or that and makes tons of power. When we go into these builds we put ourselves in a group. I wanted to be a Stroker guy, more particular a carb guy. A lot of people want to be turbo guys, and V8 guys, etc. We can't discuss whats more cost effective when we aren't willing to go over to the other group.

All my builds are done on a budget, I have no "no budget" build. Because of this, if I wanted something really unique with maximum displacement and such, I could then justify spending over $1000 for a cool crank. When someone says why didn't you go V8 the answer is simple, I wanted a unique L engine, I'm an L engine type of guy. So lets not get into the which is more cost effective discussion. Those threads last pages and pages, and all it is, is a clash between many different views with some people thinking they're right and everyone else is wrong.

Now back to the thread topic, yes Volod is right about the head thing. Spend your money on a top notch head. If you have money left, then go with displacement. Whats the maximum displacement? Well lets use process of elimination and say no F54 blocks, I don't know about the LD blocks but seeing how 1 fast z says you can't go past 85mm then probably not that, then you can go with a Kameari crank but I bet at their price you can get an LD28 crank welded up and still spend less or even have a custom crank made for you. When looking for the bigger bore pistons, perhaps you look into getting some small block chevy pistons if you can find the right pin height, diameter, and bore, but since this is no budget crap then call up a Ross or some other place and have a forged set made with whatever specs. Rods, either find some nissan rods that have a center to center length you want, BUT since this is no budget crap then have some forged rods made for you. Although if I'm to be honest, you should pick your rods from the wide selection of datsun/nissan rods, and then adjust the piston pin height to get the compression ratio you want. This way you don't have to have custom everything. Or you can go the other way and buy a set of pistons, and then have a custom set of rods to whatever length you want blah blah blah. I think getting some H, I, X beam rods, whichever is best, and then doing forged pistons is the better idea though.

1 Fast Z, you are wrong about the V07 block wall thickness. At least partially.

I have finally gotten ahold of the ONLY V07 block I have personally seen, and gotten to play with. It's from a LARGE Nissan forklift. I mean freakin' huge. The forklift is designed to lift and carry other forklifts, I am told. I DO NOT have pictures, because the engine is not mine and I didn't have my camera there at the time. I'll try to get pictures, though because with out them, No one believes this. Unfortunately, I can't persuade the shop that has this block to sell it to me. Trust me, I tried as soon as they let me take measurements of it.

The LATER versions (Must be 84+, I guess) of the V07 blocks have 3mm thick dry sleeves pressed in the bores. According to the machine shop that has this block, The cylinder bores can be opened up another mm to accept new, oversized, sleeves if needed, but it's almost never done, due to the sleeve allowing for rebuilds. The machinist said it has only happened one time, and the only reason he did it was because the original sleeve split top to bottom, and started to spin in the dry-sleeve bore, marring it.

He said that the forklift blocks and automotive blocks are not listed as interchangeable, although he doesn't see why not, externally, the LD28 block is the LD28 block.

I don't know this machinist well, I just worked on the paging system in his workshop today and noticed it, and asked him about it on my lunch break. Hopefully I will be able to get back to his shop and get photos of the bores, and more information.

You're missing my point big time. The point is that to some people, engine does matter. One can say well for the money that was put into that motor I could have done a monster v8, but guess what, apparently that guy didn't want to do that, he wanted an L engine.

Like I said before, I would never put a V8 or an RB in my 240. Why? because to me, the 240 marks the first of the evolution so I will keep the first pure.

"Buy up ten N42's, a tig welder to weld the chambers and spend 5 years developing them"

With the point I'm trying to make here is that someone crazier than I am would do that, but then there are some people that say well why do I want to do that, I'll toss in this or that and makes tons of power. When we go into these builds we put ourselves in a group. I wanted to be a Stroker guy, more particular a carb guy. A lot of people want to be turbo guys, and V8 guys, etc. We can't discuss whats more cost effective when we aren't willing to go over to the other group.

All my builds are done on a budget, I have no "no budget" build. Because of this, if I wanted something really unique with maximum displacement and such, I could then justify spending over $1000 for a cool crank. When someone says why didn't you go V8 the answer is simple, I wanted a unique L engine, I'm an L engine type of guy. So lets not get into the which is more cost effective discussion. Those threads last pages and pages, and all it is, is a clash between many different views with some people thinking they're right and everyone else is wrong.

Now back to the thread topic, yes Volod is right about the head thing. Spend your money on a top notch head. If you have money left, then go with displacement. Whats the maximum displacement? Well lets use process of elimination and say no F54 blocks, I don't know about the LD blocks but seeing how 1 fast z says you can't go past 85mm then probably not that, then you can go with a Kameari crank but I bet at their price you can get an LD28 crank welded up and still spend less or even have a custom crank made for you. When looking for the bigger bore pistons, perhaps you look into getting some small block chevy pistons if you can find the right pin height, diameter, and bore, but since this is no budget crap then call up a Ross or some other place and have a forged set made with whatever specs. Rods, either find some nissan rods that have a center to center length you want, BUT since this is no budget crap then have some forged rods made for you. Although if I'm to be honest, you should pick your rods from the wide selection of datsun/nissan rods, and then adjust the piston pin height to get the compression ratio you want. This way you don't have to have custom everything. Or you can go the other way and buy a set of pistons, and then have a custom set of rods to whatever length you want blah blah blah. I think getting some H, I, X beam rods, whichever is best, and then doing forged pistons is the better idea though.

haha Josh, like I said earlier, this is more out of curiousity than anything. In reality for the next several years, I'm plan on working on the car with a very tight budget. I'm hoping to get it turbocharged within a year of getting the car, but I'm not expecting to make the "dream" build for quite some time, if I ever do. I'm not foolish or trying to be unrealistic, I just ask a lot of questions. If I can't find the information through most of my searches, I figure I might as well ask. Even if it is something that I never end up doing, if I don't find out an answer, I go crazy =P.

Sure I would love to just build an LD28 right now, put ITB on it with a nice turbo and the block off plate from a company that escapes my memory right now (essentially it closes off half the turbo on the exhaust side until a certain RPM is reached, at which point it opens allowing full flow, but speeds up spool), somehow get a crossflow head for the L-series, do a full suspension swap from an S13 into a front tube chasis 240Z, but I don't have the skills, knowledge, experience or money necessary. But I would love to learn how to do this, and even if that dream never becomes a reality, I would find any of the skills I gain valuable. I'm not trying to annoy anyone, just gain some knowledge on what I would like to know. I don't pretend I am capable of this, but is there really any harm in asking??

(and yes...I would love to have that car, though I doubt I ever will XD).

haha Josh, like I said earlier, this is more out of curiousity than anything. In reality for the next several years, I'm plan on working on the car with a very tight budget. I'm hoping to get it turbocharged within a year of getting the car, but I'm not expecting to make the "dream" build for quite some time, if I ever do. I'm not foolish or trying to be unrealistic, I just ask a lot of questions. If I can't find the information through most of my searches, I figure I might as well ask. Even if it is something that I never end up doing, if I don't find out an answer, I go crazy =P.

Sure I would love to just build an LD28 right now, put ITB on it with a nice turbo and the block off plate from a company that escapes my memory right now (essentially it closes off half the turbo on the exhaust side until a certain RPM is reached, at which point it opens allowing full flow, but speeds up spool), somehow get a crossflow head for the L-series, do a full suspension swap from an S13 into a front tube chasis 240Z, but I don't have the skills, knowledge, experience or money necessary. But I would love to learn how to do this, and even if that dream never becomes a reality, I would find any of the skills I gain valuable. I'm not trying to annoy anyone, just gain some knowledge on what I would like to know. I don't pretend I am capable of this, but is there really any harm in asking??

(and yes...I would love to have that car, though I doubt I ever will XD).

Yah I know, I'm just being silly not angry. :P

Yah I know, I'm just being silly not angry. :P

haha alright, I'm used to many other forums where I do get yelled at for asking questions like this =P Good to know that as long as I don't ask something like "Can I swap an L28ET into a 240Z?" I won't get flamed =P

And as a side note, if I wanted a V8, I would probably get a Chevy Nova and swap in an LS6 XD. Part of the reason I wanna stick with an L6 is because all my friends are into the Chevy Camaros, Ford Mustangs, Chevy Chevelles, ect. As cheesy as it may be, I have always been into the Japanese import scene since I saw The Fast and the Furious as a kid =P. I know the movies are way different than reality of course, but that is just the generation I grew up with...though for some reason Honda Civic's never appealed to me XD

• 9 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...