HybridZ

I Finally Painted my Z

Bartman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that satin black on top? What equipment did you use?
No it's not satin black, hopefully I'll be able to get the full shine out of it before it's done. I used Restoration Shop Urethane basecoat / clearcoat system and shot it with a DeVILBISSFinishLine gun.

thats a nice 3 tone paint job at least from what it looks like but i dont think i could have went silver along the bottom unless thats just a rock chip prevention paint. either way

CAME out AWSOME show pics after its buffed up i think you just inspired me.

The silver isn't chip prevention, just a look I wanted. Here's a PhotoShop of what it's supposed to look like when it's done:

3796581172_57e1ae326c.jpg

how many coats of clear did you layed down? are you painting your body kit seperate? looking good.
Two good layers of clearcoat. I had everything apart for painting, and painted the body kit at the same time. I've starting installing it tonight and It's looking great so far.

PaintedZ.jpg

thats cool that you painted the bumpers seperate and still have to put on the bumper because for a minute i thought the fade was off on the rear bottom section. lol. i knew you had a kit at one time...outside in the sun pics if possible.

Yes, it's a shark theme complete with gills and a shark emblems from the Mako Shark concept car. The blue and silver are much lighter than they appear in the last picture I posted, as it was dark when I shot it. It's not for everyone, but then again - it's not supposed to be. I put a couple pieces in the sunlight before I put them on, and it looks fantastic in the light.

More pic's to come...

thats cool that you painted the bumpers seperate and still have to put on the bumper because for a minute i thought the fade was off on the rear bottom section. lol. i knew you had a kit at one time...outside in the sun pics if possible.
BTW - The bumpers themselves are chrome. The fade on the paint below the rear skirt was off, but installing the rear skirt fixed that.

Making progress putting it back together. By the time I got the wheels on and backed the car out of the garage, it was getting dark already. Here's a pic anyway.

PaintedZ_033.jpg

I've been noticing the blue areas have a much better gloss than the black areas. After a while I determined that it's not necessarily the black areas that don't shine as well, but areas that are more horizontal than vertical. I think that the horizontal areas collected more overspray during clearcoat than other areas. Either way, I think that color sanding should take care of the problem. I'm going to try and do the sanding this weekend.