HybridZ

I Finally Painted my Z

Bartman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great! I wasn't sure of it until I saw it all together. Very nice!

Had you considered doing a faux CF treatment to the black? I watched someone do it on one of those saturday morning car shows (Horsepower?). Anyway, he laid some of that none slip kitchen cabinet liner (the rubbery woven like stuff) over black paint and shot over top of it with a lighter charcoal color. It actually turned out pretty darn nice. Not sure how seamless it would look between the ral CF hood and hatch, but it may be something you'd want to check out...... now that you're nearly done ;)

Bryan, your's coming out great helped convince me to make the top black. I wavered a few times and wasn't sure if I wanted the silver fade, the black top or both - but I'm happy with the result. Just recently I was going to try and sell the carbon fiber hood and not go with the black top, but I really like the hood and then I was able to include the carbon fiber hatch as well.

Horatio, I think that however good a faux carbon fiber paint job might look - it probably wouldn't look good next to real carbon fiber. The carbon fiber parts look different based on viewing angle and lighting conditions, and the pattern generally only shows on the foremost areas when your looking at the car. You can see in some of the pictures I posted of the front of the car, that the back part of the hood looks almost identical to the top of the fenders.

So I thought I was pretty much finished, but I pulled my Z out into direct sunlight for some pictures - and it needs to be polished out more. You can see it pretty easily in some of the pictures, and I could see it even more in person. Oh well, I'll get it right eventually.

PaintedZ_045.jpg

PaintedZ_046.jpg

PaintedZ_047.jpg

PaintedZ_048.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The carbon fiber tail light panel arrived last night and I installed it today. I like it, but I think it would be better with a chrome surround on the tail light openings instead of the black one that came with it. I may need to remove it from my stockers and put it on the cf pieces. What do you think?

PaintedZ_008.jpg

P.S. - Clive, I thought I answered your question before, but I don't see it - my bumpers are Euro bumpers.

I'm in London right now, but I think my hatch doesn't sit as high as your's does. I trimmed the hatch seal down so that it would sit lower.

I have to try that once I get to that point. The pictures you see is while no hatch seal in yet! The hatch just seems to be curved due to the stock glass. I have the hatch on the floor now with some "items" on top of the glass hoping that chnages the curve to be more flat. Pictures and results to follow.

Safe trip back when you return.

Updated pic's below. Now that it's done I wish I would have spent more time prepping before paint. There are a couple of areas where you can see sanding scratches and imperfections in my body work. Oh well, I'm not going to redo it - so it will have to do.

PaintedZ_049.jpg

PaintedZ_050.jpg