HybridZ

Blown Jaguar V8

Volstandigkeit

I don't really like posting a new thread that may or may not go anywhere, but I can't/haven't found much info on this subject, here, or anywhere else. From what I've been able to gather, the AJ34S came in both the S-Type, XJR, and XKR, from about 98 to the present. When they first hit the market, they were 4.0L then later were bumped up to 4.2L. I've been all over the board on trying to compile a list of possible engines, and won't likely settle in on any one style or brand until I actually happen across a decent engine at the right time. I know I want to go with an aluminum block to keep the weight down, and I'm pretty sure this engine is. I know anything is possible, so I'm pretty sure that this engine would fit under the hood of an S30 without much fabrication, since it's around the same size as the VH45 and 1/3UZ V8s that I'm noticing more folks using for their swaps. My biggest concern, actually, is finding a manual transmission for the swap. The only other question I've got, is how labor intensive are Jaguar engines regarding maintenance and reliability?

I don't really like posting a new thread that may or may not go anywhere, but I can't/haven't found much info on this subject, here, or anywhere else. From what I've been able to gather, the AJ34S came in both the S-Type, XJR, and XKR, from about 98 to the present. When they first hit the market, they were 4.0L then later were bumped up to 4.2L. I've been all over the board on trying to compile a list of possible engines, and won't likely settle in on any one style or brand until I actually happen across a decent engine at the right time. I know I want to go with an aluminum block to keep the weight down, and I'm pretty sure this engine is. I know anything is possible, so I'm pretty sure that this engine would fit under the hood of an S30 without much fabrication, since it's around the same size as the VH45 and 1/3UZ V8s that I'm noticing more folks using for their swaps. My biggest concern, actually, is finding a manual transmission for the swap. The only other question I've got, is how labor intensive are Jaguar engines regarding maintenance and reliability?

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you need more information about late Jaguar engines, then, as a starter, look here: http://www.answers.com/topic/jaguar-aj-v8-engine

Early Jaguar engines are heavy, dated, and expensive to repair. They sure looked good and had a great sound. There is a cottage industry replacing the Jaguar 6 with a CSB: both Jaguars That Run (JTR) and John's Cars (Broken Kitty) can tell you why you may want to swap a CSB in place of the Jaguar XK-6 and XK-12. The current Jaguar appears to be a variation of engines used by Ford and installed in Lincolns.

g

I have been thinking of selling off my Jaguar manuals because I really have no plans of working on Jags anymore. Give me the year and model you pulled the engine from and i can see what I have that you might be interested in. Keep in mind that the stuff I have is the real deal, tech manuals and tech diagrams, nothing but the best. Emailing me is the best way to contact me if you're interested.

Thanks

pallnet

I actually think they're separate designs from the ford Mod motor. The failed attempt at the Retro T-Bird actually uses the Jag AJV8 in one form or another. Jags used to be a PITA to maintain, but after Ford bought them they tended to do a little better with reliability. I actually looked at these motors too, they perform well, they're relatively light, especially compared to the giant DOHC mod motors, and it should fit. Unfortunately, I think there's less than zero aftermarket for these cars.

I just wiki'd the motor and it appears it's been thrown around a bunch of jags and a few fords, unfortunately all autos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine#AJ35

There also seemed to be a similar problem with them as the BMW's with the Nikasil cylinders, but instead of switching to Alusil, they just sleeved them, so you'd want the iron sleeved replacements.

If I can just come up with either an adapter of bell housing for a T56 or Jericho, the transmission might not be a major issue. The only existing after market I've come up with for it are some underdrive pulleys and an ECU flash. That's a think a tad more than the VH45 has going for it right now, but not quite as much as the 5 cylinder Audi and Volvos.

Pallnet, I don't have anything yet. Just trying to come up with a short list to keep my eyes peeled for.

Right now, I've got nothing but time, which should hopefully allow me the chance to avoid trying to make a 500 pound Gorilla do the job.

until 3 years ago i used to work as a ford dealer tech.these engines were used in last model t bird and lincoln ls.never really had any problems with the engine itself.they sounded good wound up.there were enough lincoln ls made that the motors should be around in the wrecking yards.if you get a ford version and want to use the ford efi system get the factory ford book called evtm-for the car the motor came from.it is the wire diagram book -and very easy to follow.the auto trans behind these engines seemed to have alot of close ratios-and kept the engine in a narrow rpm band.i kind of liked crusing the tbird with the top down.but top up it was claustrophobic.

I think they were in range rovers as well. Maybe the had a manual?....Hang on .......Aston martin used a version of it also. They definatly had a manual trans for it....going to be an expensive ZED!

Douglas

Ok, now let's see what Ford is up to: something on the order of 365 hp in the 2010 SHO Taurus. That motor appears to be the same one used in the newer Jags. Ford 500 v6 and Mazda 6 appear to be the same family. Take a quick gander at the specs for a 2007/9 MAZDASPEED 6. Good healthy HP there. Turbocharged yes. I think the Lincoln is a FWD car: I know both the Taurus and MAZDASPEEd 6 to be FWD. There is North/South compatibility with some of Ford's V6s: the first version of the SHO could be mounted to Ford 5 speed manual using the Van's flywheel/bellhousing. I think there is a thread on this Forum.

I haven't found any information re manual transmissions for this ford varient.

I find it hard to believe the XK8 or XKR for that matter didn't have a manual offering. There's GOT to be a manual transmission that bolts up to the sucker with the right bellhousing.

I can definitely attest to the Ford buyout jag reliability improvement. One of my friends I grew up with, his dad owns a european auto repair shop, and has been doing GOOD business for decades. He's working on the 70's and 80's jags constantly. Even the later pre-ford jags still have problems that cars with their miles just shouldn't. Once the started having Ford owned power trains the story changes a bit though. Most of the things he ends up repairing on newer jags are non-engine related, or just plain maintenance items. They still have problems with anything that says Lucas on it....

They still have problems with anything that says Lucas on it....

You know why the British drink warm beer, right? Because Lucas made the refrigerator!

Anyway, I feel if they did come with a manual, it's going to be super rare, I looked at this motor once and I couldn't find one.

However, the transmission does look like it has a removable bell-housing, this is from an XJ8

image.php?type=P&id=16306

And I don't think that an all alloy SBC would be cheaper. Alloy blocks aren't cheap. MAYBE an LS1, but I've seen these motors go for pretty cheap on eBay.

Wow! How did I miss this posting?

I was going to put the supercharged 4.0L in my Z and chickened out for fear of not knowing how to wire it up. It will fit a Z, it is an all aluminum four cam motor. And I have only seen one with a stick in a light weight XKR in Europe, and of course the racing XK8's that were winning races a few years back.

If you go with this combo, Ford Cobra after market pulley for super charger will work as they are both M112 superchargers. Same for the after market aftercooler that mounts in front of the radiator. That motor was rated to 370hp from the factory but the exhaust on the XK's are anemic and have no fewer than 5 mufflers.

I still have my 4.0L supercharged motor. PM me if you want it cheap. Its just gathering dust in the corner of my garage since I put the SBC motor in my Z instead.

Almost forgot, the best bang for the buck on my XK8, was the zex nitrous kit

I pyrited from my mustang. I can't imagine how it would have worked with the supercharged motor. 500 plus hp wouldn't surprise me with the exhaust aftercooler and zex kit instaled.

Wow! How did I miss this posting?

I was going to put the supercharged 4.0L in my Z and chickened out for fear of not knowing how to wire it up. It will fit a Z, it is an all aluminum four cam motor. And I have only seen one with a stick in a light weight XKR in Europe, and of course the racing XK8's that were winning races a few years back.

If you go with this combo, Ford Cobra after market pulley for super charger will work as they are both M112 superchargers. Same for the after market aftercooler that mounts in front of the radiator. That motor was rated to 370hp from the factory but the exhaust on the XK's are anemic and have no fewer than 5 mufflers.

I still have my 4.0L supercharged motor. PM me if you want it cheap. Its just gathering dust in the corner of my garage since I put the SBC motor in my Z instead.

If I can figure out what manual transmission will bolt up to it, I may get in touch with you.

• 2 months later...

Beyond the fact that the jag engine is not a motor that people tend to mess with i must say i love it. I have a 04 jag s-type containing a sexy rev happy jag four liter. Even draging around a 3500 lb of fat the car is a rocket. It has a excellent power band. It's not the R but i embarrasses the occasional offending civic/idiot combo. The coolest feature is that the exhaust is dead quite even at the top of it's rev range. (And i mean quiet even 110mph plus) So if you can somehow use the stock exhaust it might be worth your while. One issue is the expense of parts that are non performance. Mine was backed off a corner into a ditch by a friend and the minor damage it did to the exhaust cost over a thousand by itself.so the expense of jag parts might make it hard to secure a good jag xk manual trans. (which was offered from i think 02 0n the s type never came with a manual trans except with a v6 combo) But you should certainly not let those factors stop you you should be the first to build a jag powered z

Hey,

I've got an old Jag with a V-12. Try rebuilding a V-12 sometime...for something to do. The electrics are hilarious! Mr. Lucas was some kind of genius..."some kind" being open to interpretation.

To: drive 185mph

There have been numerous Jag powered Z's. Best example I can show you:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/08/NPOCPV12ZEng.jpg

Not mine...but awesome work nonetheless.

Rebuilding Fuel Injection, and iginition on a V-12 isn't all THAT bad. You only have to fix the same crap 12 times everytime over and over. Belleview Hospital next stop!

The authoritative site on Jags and engines is:

www.jag-lovers.com

If you can't find it there without some respectable searching of links and such then it can't be found.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

RSC

Edited by rjstcroix
Added link to Jag pic