HybridZ

Welp.. Im building a Rotisserie from Engine Stands.. **Pics**

Hey great job!

About the situation on how it was hard to the completely flip the car upside down, How did you get around that problem. Do you think it was because of that tilt at the uprights on the stands?

Because of this thread I decided to clean the garage and build a rotisserie. Heard we are in for another el nino so it looks like shes going to be a garage queen this winter.

Yes, in this hobby, wife management is very important.I consider myself as something as an expert, since I've been married twice. If your wife says you have too much junk, you need to get some really large rubbermaid bins, and put your stuff in them. A wife will complain endlessly about a garage half full of stuff but not utter a peep about a garage completely full of large rubbermaid bins, especially if the bins are blue.

Why does this work with everything and clutter? All my computer junk was in blue bins until I parted it out/junked it - she never complained. One day I had a pile of parts out to sort through - bang! complained. Wonder if the laundry would finally get done and put away if I put it in blue bins for her... :flamedevi

was wondering the same thing can you spin it by yourself or do you need help?

Mine takes a little muscle to flip, but I can manage it myself. I spun mine once right after I put it on the rotisserie with all the suspension/wheels on. THAT was difficult. The key is finding the balance around the pivot. If you get that balance point right then it should spin EASY. Mine was bottom heavy at first, now with a full cage it's top heavy. One member here, zlalomz, has added a counterweight which is basically a tube with a bunch of barbell weights at one end. In this way he can keep the balance right as he gets into his cage and his car will continue to spin really easily.

The car is fairly easy to rotate by hand.. standing in the middle of the car and grabbing around the door area... it requires a little bit of muscle...

now the difficult part is when the car is directly on its side.. i literally stand on the frame rails and grab the door sill.. and stand on the car and *literally* jump up and down shifting my weight to rotate it... it was down right scary at first.. but its surprisingly strong and stable!! very surprising lol

I removed my doors and its MUCH easier now!!

Now that slotted offset I made helps quite a bit.. and it does make a difference. If I have the car off balance im screwed.. when the bolts were loose, the car slid down the slots.. and it took two guys to hop on the car and rotate it. ugh. So you have to be careful with those slots.. and make sure the bolts are TIGHT! eeep

• 11 months later...

:2thumbs: for rotisserie from engine stands!

Built one this weekend and it only took me about a day...I had to run a 220v line to my garage for my crappy arc welder but it got the job done. my ugly welds are holding up so far, so im pleased to say the least.

I differed from the original plans by using only two HF 1000lb engine stands and bought a 1 1/2"X3" piece of rectangular steel in a 2' length for 7 bucks at the metal yard instead of spending the 40 bucks on another stand just to chop up the upright.

All was going well until i didnt square out my front mount properly and it came out with an angle...an i thought to my self, "oh no problem, ill just match that angle in the head of the engine stand upright so it wont be a pain to turn"...I thought about the falling out part when rotating and found a way around that. What i didnt think about was the angle was great enough that when turned upside down the "weight" of the car would be BEHIND the rear support wheels on the engine stand.

I got the thing turned sideways and the front wheels started lifting up a few inches because of it....So im either gonna fix the mounts by cutting them off and re-welding them more level, meaning i gotta cut the front mount i made and the engine stand back up...OR I can just take a piece of 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" square tubing and tie the two stands together to prevent this from happening.

what do you guys think?

Wife management!You shoulda just said hey,if I can get it for a hundred or less get this car done I can sell it for 2 or more.Want me to buy a new one?They're only bout 1K!Reasoning like that most always works with mine.But then again the garage is mine too.Seriously.Thanks for this thread as I am going to have to build one also and this is the route I am going,I am looking to widen the stance out a little bit for stability.

i really dont think ya need to widen the stance at all unless your trying to put on suspension and body parts...and in that case id worry more about tying the stands together more so than the width... my 1/2 a cent

I've got suspension parts on my car, not a problem, just gets harder and harder to spin as the weight balance changes. That can be solved with a counter weight if necessary. I'll just manhandle it around. What is a problem is body parts. my car barely clears to spin all the way around, if I had flares mounted they would hit the stands for sure. Even a ZG flare would not clear. It can be tough to remember to be careful when flipping the car with body parts on.

I plan on tying mine together with 1.5" X 1.5" square 14 gauge...and thats ONLY because of my crappy cutting job on the stands themselves as stated above...if the wheels werent lifting off of the front stand I wouldnt even be doing that much.

As stated previously, there's simply no need to waste money on stuff that isnt going to make a difference in the overall effectivesness of what your trying to do with this thing in the first place.

The engine stand idea works great as it is...no need for wider stance, no need for overkill on tying the stands together or beefing up the mounts or adding a crazy amount of cross supports.

This was supposed to be a thread revival for +1 on the engine stand working theme...not the "i dont think its good enough so im gonna spend an additional 100 bucks on metal to make this thing indestructable" theme.

again, just my 1/2 a cent

Just to be extra safe.

Unnecessary in my experience. In my last garage I even had a pretty badly sloped slab and the front stand would try to roll down the hill. Just put the handle in the back side of the engine stand, or if you're like me and you can't find it, weld a piece of scrap to the backside so that the bracket can't pull out of the stand. Either way, they just aren't going anywhere, even if they wanted to.

• 2 months later...

I finally got my rotisserie built...then had to chop it up again cause i didnt get everything perfectly square.

fixed all the issues and she flips all the way over without the stands wanting to push towards eachother! :)

CG is still top heavy but going out to the garage an seeing a flipped 260z on some engine stands put together in a few hours is a sight to behold!!!

• 1 month later...

I used a 240amp stick welder at first...it was set to about 70 amps so im sure your 90 amp could handle it. However, when I picked up a 140amp mig the welds were MUCH MUCH better.

Both work and will do the job but the MIG will be easier to use and provide better welds IMO.

• 1 month later...