HybridZ

Garage paint setup

280zzzz

any small compressor will do the job as long as it puts out 80 plus psi through the hose and hold a consistant psi. a bigger one will require a good power plug like a washer would use. is using the smaller plug wih a big compressor it will trigger your circuit breaker and causing a blackout in your garage if it sucks too much power.

I wouldnt get less then a 60 gallon tank with 12CFM. Dont really pay mind to the PSI. Read the specs on the gun you will be using. Most guns take more then 10CFM. If you get a compressor close to thoughs specs, you can atleast paint sections at a time while you wait for it to build up.

it only takes 25-27 psi inline on a hlvp for me. my regulator is set at 60psi and only 9-10pi at cap. conventional say34-37psi. i seriously dont recall anything about cfm but maybe im im not reading enough. ehehe. i also have painted on a belt driven 2hp compressor probably made in the 70s. lol, came out decent.

would it be alright for me to suggest keeping your garage pretty dry?

just so the compressor doesnt suck in humidity and shoot out water drops with your paint.

negative. keep the floors wet so there wont he any dust flying anywhere at anytime. run a decent inline filter.

would it be alright for me to suggest keeping your garage pretty dry?

just so the compressor doesnt suck in humidity and shoot out water drops with your paint.

Wet down the floor (be careful not to splash any on body) just before you tack cloth the car for the last time. Also, use one of those disposable inline water/air filters just before your gun.

I have a 5HP 25 gal compressor that I have been painting with. This is how it is set up:

Tank -> Regulator (~80psi) -> water separator/filter -> hose -> disposable filter -> regulator (~40psi) -> HVLP gun

Pete

Guest Rolling Parts
We want to get a setup for painting cars in our garage, and we need a compressor that can stand up to the task, on a budget.

Shoot me some ideas.

First, make sure you have 220V wired up in the garage.

Second, Craigslist is you best friend. Search for used 220V twin cylinder compressors with at least a 25 gal tank. I bought mine for $50.

Third, go to Harbor Freight and get an in-line pressure regulator and drier.

LASTLY get a descent spray gun. That's the part I did not scrimp on and I bought a DeVilbiss HVLP spray gun.

i got rid of the disposible inline filter at the gun and never using one ever again. never know when it is filled and drip water on my paint job while spraying. i presonally dont like using them because it bubbles when its cloggedand water drips down your line or onto you paint job unexpected. i say run air regulator+water seperator+hose+mini air inlet regulator+gun. IMO.

I wouldnt get less then a 60 gallon tank with 12CFM. Dont really pay mind to the PSI. Read the specs on the gun you will be using. Most guns take more then 10CFM. If you get a compressor close to thoughs specs, you can atleast paint sections at a time while you wait for it to build up.

Most small compressors give off less then 5CFM(Cubic ft per minute). Most HVLP guns use around 10CFM. If your gun is using 10 cubic ft per minute of tank space and your compressor is only pumping 5CFM. you will have to wait for the tank to build up air every 30 sec or so....

If you decide to go with a smaller compressor, I advise you to get a commercial brand like Ingersol Rand. The compressors in chain store(from what I have heard) are estimate ratings on the specs and arent actually what they say they are. I would also research a good name brand gun that doesnt require more then 6 or so CFM. I cant remember which ones they were but they are made.