HybridZ

Stock fuel pump/line performance?

Namor

First I will provide you with my situation. I have just begun restoring a '77 280z and it is currently stripped down and on a rotisserie. While it is on the rotisserie I am looking ahead and wanting to get my fuel lines/brake lines/etc all set up before I put the car back on the ground (might as well, I mean who really wants to climb under the car). But while looking into what I should do for fuel lines I've really hit a wall.

It will have a L28ET put in, from an '82. I am shooting for 300hp but I overbuild, so anything I am upgrading I leave room for improvement (so 350hp-ish)

What pressure and flow is the stock fuel pump rated at and what has anybody actually gotten out of it (I guess personal experience would be more of a HP number instead of flowrate)

On top of the fuel pump, during my searching (and I have done a lot) I have come across information saying upgrading the fuel lines should be done and other information saying its unnecessary. I really do not want to have to replace them later but don't want to spend money just to spend money. So anybody have an numbers concerning stock fuel lines or any further suggestions? I'm prepared to replace them, just looking to save money where I don't actually need to spend it.

oh and if you want to tell me to search, please suggest some words or phrases to search for to get the desired results. Thanks

Namor, new to the site? I see only two posts, and you joined on June of this year. I would like to take this time to join Phlebmaster and say to you "welcome sir".

I would also suggest you hook up with a local speed shop. Google search you zip code and "speed shop" for some locations near you. Any shop that sells MSD or Autolite can get just about anything you need, they are a local Jeg's or Summit parts house. If you spend a few buck on performance parts like fuel pumps or plumbing parts, those guys usually don't mind talking (bragging) about the stuff they have worked on/built/crashed/sponsored.

They are a plethora of 'real world' information, especially when you start modifying stuff. Most of them aren't snobby about the hot rod you choose to work on, as long as your wrenchin' and having fun (and spending cash in their shop). They can help you with hose/tube/fuel injector size and type selection and usually have the stuff in stock. I have found they are a bit more cash but with shipping/handling it usually is a break even proposition for small jobs. Once you build a rapport with them, they seem more eager to help your project along. Progress for you, means dollars spend to them... and in this economy fun projects take a back seat to "food on the table".

As for your direct question, unless your building an all out race car, stock might be the best way to go when you factor in cost/time modifying, 300 H.P. might be the upper limit for stock lines. Usually for the street your just taching it through the first few gears anyway and most of the time you live below 3k on the tach. It really depends on how big and bold you plan on building that L-28ET, what future upgrades and what you plan on using it for. But that is just my $0.02.

Here is a good article written by Drax240Z. He seems to be on track:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115904

Happy motoring... eh, wrenchin' in your case.