HybridZ

280zxt cv axle swap, why wont they fit?

tyler031734

Following the leed of another member on this board I had some custom adapters made to put the cv axles in my 73 240. But the axles seem to long. I can not compress the cv enough.... Help!!!!!!!!!! money gone to waste here and i would like to se others opinions on options....MM adapters I think... and opinions of why it worked flawlessly on a 77 and not my 73???:evil:

You best bet here is to call MM, they're not Z31's because those are 4 bolts and not 6. You would notice that. My bet is that either your half shafts are not going in all the way for some reason (into the differential) OR the companion flanges (i'm guessing you got the ones welded to the companion flanges? ) have not seated properly. Either way the ZXT tri-pods are already a tight fit.

You best bet here is to call MM, they're not Z31's because those are 4 bolts and not 6. You would notice that. My bet is that either your half shafts are not going in all the way for some reason (into the differential) OR the companion flanges (i'm guessing you got the ones welded to the companion flanges? ) have not seated properly. Either way the ZXT tri-pods are already a tight fit.

Non turbo Z31 axles are 6 bolts, the turbo Z31 axles are 4 bolts. The non turbo Z31 axles look very similar to the 280ZXT axles but are longer.

i have a 72 240z and im using the mm cv adapters, the driver side of the rearend was a tight fit and when you install the cv shafts you can still leave the caps on they will compress when you start to tighten the bolts, but the driverside will be a real tight fit, but it will go on with a little muscle work, I will see if I can post some photos.

240z suspension and interior 017_thumb.jpg

240z suspension and interior 026_thumb.jpg

240z suspension and interior 029_thumb.jpg

Im using some custom adapters I had CNC'd, Zeerari used them with no problems. Thats why im wondering if somebody might have put Z31 na axles on it at some time, i know the splines and the bolt pattern is the same. can you bolt a z31 na axle in a s130T? or maybe they where replaced and manufacture differences....

I would unbolt the LCA but i feel there is not enough room in the cv for this, binding issues

How do you insert those pictures? am i going to have to figure out how to use photobucket?... lol

zeerari has a pic of the adapter on his photo bucket, that is how I found them, they are 1.1 inches thick, and they bolt in between your existing companion flange and s130T axle

there is a pic there also of them bolted in!!! his are steel where as I used alumnuminum