HybridZ

Flocked Headliner done!

terrya

Got the headliner done! flocked in black. It came out really nice. I will have to experiment with some sound deadner padding above the headliner to make up for it now being a little thinner than before, since the old vinyl was foam backed.

Only took about 25 minutes to do once I had the board prepped, all old material removed and board scuffed up a little and I gave it a quick spray of black paint. I had 6 ounces of flocking material and 2 small cans of the black adhesive, enough to do 30 sq ft. You are supposed to put on the adhesive and you have 10-15 minutes from the time you start to get the flocking down, while the adhesive is still tacky.

I had thought the black paint I had sprayed on would help seal the board, but it sucked in the adhesive like a sponge and by the time I had the board covered my 15 minutes were almost up and I had yet to lay down any flocking. I decided to give it another coat of adhesive, this time it went much faster, since it had absorbed and sealed with all the adhesive I put down the first time.

Spraying on the flocking fibers took about 5 minutes. They tell you in the instructions to not be afraid to use too much. I probably sprayed on enough to cover 15 sq ft. Wanted to make sure every spot was covered well. I let it sit about 24 hours and then stood it on edge on a plastic drop cloth and lightly tapped on the back to cause all the flocking that didn't stick to the board to drop off. I reclaimed enough to do about 10 sq ft.

There you have it, my flocking experiment. Really happy with the results, no more vinyl to ever sag on my head. I'll let it cure a few more days before trying to install it.

Lessons learned: Due to the time constraints, on big pieces use a helper, and maybe a roller instead of a brush. Have porous materials properly sealed before starting.

For those that don't know what flocking is,http://www.donjer.com/

One more thing, the adhesive is the same color as the color flocking you decide to use.

3844139408_6158056caa.jpg

Nice job.

Back in the 70's, when I lived in New York City (Manhattan), the PIMP that lived in the hi rise on the corner, had a 1969 Eldorado that was flocked in green. The car was not painted and felt like a pool table...had the BIG Superfly headlights too..

I'm TOTALY SERIOUS....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0KTQsNjr7Y

Nice job.

Back in the 70's, when I lived in New York City (Manhattan), the PIMP that lived in the hi rise on the corner, had a 1969 Eldorado that was flocked in green. The car was not painted and felt like a pool table...had the BIG Superfly headlights too..

I'm TOTALY SERIOUS....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0KTQsNjr7Y

LOL, thats funny as hell, I was explaining flocking to a few guys at work today, and one of them mentioned doing it to a whole car.

Thats from a 280zx right? Just to be sure flocking is the material you put on top of the cardboard backing stuff right? I wasnt sure if you created that whole thing. I would love one of those for my 260z

Correct, 280ZX 2+2, The flocking fibers were applied directly on the headliner backing board.

looks amazing. Where did you buy the materials?

Ordered from here:http://www.donjer.com/

I used the enhanced nylon kit for $41.00, it lets you get 2 3oz bags of fibers, I got both bags in black. Only used about 25% of the fibers, but almost all the black adhesive. Should be enough adhesive to cover about 50 sq ft, but my headliner board was not properly sealed and it absorbed almost all the adhesive, and I also used more than was needed. I am also thinking about flocking the rubber trim pieces that go along the bottom edge of the headliner.

This would be a great way to change interior color on parts that would not be handled or abused much.

Since the headliner came out so good, I decided to also flock the two upper rubber trim pieces. They were faded and looked pretty bad. I still had lots of flocking fibers left, but none of the adhesive. I learned that the adhesive is really nothing more than color matched acrylic paint. Went to the local home store and got 1 qt of flat black for about $8.00. Here is a closeup of the results. The flash makes it brighter than actually is but shows the texture well. This flocking stuff is really easy and I like the results. The only other part I think I would like to do is the rear drivers side compartment panel.

3878671745_8428d8b292_b.jpg