HybridZ

305 Build

My engine has now been identified as a 305 with a set of 350 heads on it. The heads are 64cc and not ideal for the motor from what i read. Im pretty sure my engine is the Lg4 as well. The Lg4 already had a low compression rating and now with these heads its gotta be like 8 to 1. I plan to rebuild it and add a cam, headers, aluminum intake and a good carb. I need help with the rebuild part. Summit sells kits but they say will have 8.39 to 1 comp with 64cc heads. If i buy a rebuild kit without pistons how do i know which ones to get to reaise the comp up. I know i can run a thinner head gasket, but what else? Can i mill the heads? How much if i can.

Thanks,

Dustin

• 2 weeks later...

from the little bit i know of that motor, its a total piece.

prolly best to get a 350 shortblock from a boneyard or craigslist and rebuild that, then throw your 64cc heads on.

otherwise you are going to have to get a new rotating asm, or new flat or domed pistons and have your current rotating asm rebalanced.

you could also get a pair of 305 58cc heads from a boneyard (usually ~$100 a pair from a pick-your-part joint) and go that route...but then you are still stuck with a crappy under 250hp motor (assuming you rebuild stock with a street cam) that runs out of breath around 5k.

the above numbers are very generalized as i know almost nothing of your current setup, budget, or vehicle usage plans, but hey, its something.

-MIKE

WOOOW Malice don't go that far. To most people on this forum the 305 is not really looked on as an option because the 350 swap does put out more power and can be picked up for the same price but there are other people with 305's on here before and they had actually pretty darn good results. Not to mention even low 200's horsepower wise which if you are determined could hit high 200's if ya do it right maybe more, will still put out a very fast street car. Possibly around the 13 second mark. Heck a stock 305 could get a lil z into the high 14's low 15's.

WOOOW Malice don't go that far. To most people on this forum the 305 is not really looked on as an option because the 350 swap does put out more power and can be picked up for the same price but there are other people with 305's on here before and they had actually pretty darn good results. Not to mention even low 200's horsepower wise which if you are determined could hit high 200's if ya do it right maybe more, will still put out a very fast street car. Possibly around the 13 second mark. Heck a stock 305 could get a lil z into the high 14's low 15's.

You are right, people have built some nice 305s. I guess all i was trying to get accross is, unless you want the right to say "No, its a 305...i just made it bad-ass", or are in a place that is short on junkyards, a 350 is a better bang for the buck since you plan on rebuilding anyway...and the heads are 64cc 350 heads.

ok guys, I did some tearing down on my motor. It is a .030 over 305 with flat top pistons. Im gonna try to build it up using car crafts 325 hp 305 build sheet. Im gonna put the world class t5 behind it and call it a day. If you got any advice about my heads, as in what i should do to them. Mill or whatnot. Give me ideas.

If this is the carcraft 305 build you are talking about, I say go for it. Looks like they have everything they did layed out here:

http://www.goingfaster.com/spo/carcraft325hp305.html

-MIKE

That would be the build im shooting for. But ive got the flat top pistons and its .030 over. and im gonna do something with the heads. But it should be more than enoguh in a rhd fairlady z

You need to find out what the displacement of the flattop pistons are, is there a part number engraved in them?

Also need to have the engine block's deck measured to find out if its been shaved....same with the heads, there is a chance that they were previously milled. Wouldnt hurt to measure the rod length as well. there is no telling what the builder of that engine did to try and make up for the larger head volume...maybe nothing.

If the higher volume heads HAVE already been compensated for, and you not knowingly compensate again, you could push your compression too high....and this would be BAD.

-MIKE

• 2 weeks later...

Hey eagle. I'm about to undertake my very first v8 z conversion hopefully sometimes next week. I also have a .030 over 305 with 64cc heads. That car craft setup is what I plan to run as well. How far along are you? Have any major problems? What tranny and diff are you using?