HybridZ

240z Tach with aftermarket EFI?

Meph

Is it possible to get a stock 240z tach to communicate with my aftermarket ecu? I have a positive 0-5v or 0-12v trigger wire I can connect but Im not sure how it should wire up to the existing gauge. I think there are two versions of tach's aswell, so if you have any ideas im all ears.

Thanks

The stock 240z tachs are current triggered - 260 and later are voltage triggered. This means that you need a "tach adapter" in order to get the early tach to trigger from an ECU. MSD sells one for about $50. But just an FYI, they're not very durable and somewhat temperature sensitive. Don't mount it in the engine bay or anywhere else that gets warm.

Alternatively, you can just wire it to trigger off the coil as the factory did. It's been a while since I looked at the factory wiring diagram, but I'm pretty sure that the tach is wired in series with the coil. Perhaps someone else who's done this more recently can chime in?

• 4 weeks later...

I found a great deal on ebay yesterday, and went with a PS91 and HI-6 from crane arms, with their tach adapter.

You can use the crane tach adapter with many different ignition systems.

As mentioned, my tach didn't work as it's a L28 into a 240z (different tach trigger styles).

I replaced everything for more spark to the triple webers, but more for increased reliability... but I've heard arguments from both sides on the reliability "advantage".

• 13 years later...
On 10/1/2022 at 11:21 AM, Fairlineguy said:

Worth mentioning if you using a aftermarket ecu with wasted spark cop coils . Forget the ecu tach output 
If you power your coils through the original inductive loop tach wiring (same way the original coil was feed)
you tach will work

yep! Works great, I would say mine reads maybe 300-500 rpms low sometimes, but I am fine with that.