HybridZ

timing problem, cant get engine to run right

ok so i bought a timing light today so i could set my timing properly. when i checked what my timing was at, it said i was idling at about 975 rpm @ about 34 degrees btdc. NOTE: this is what it was at previously, and the engine was actually running great on boost.

So i retarted the dizzy and the light read 20 btdc @820 rpm(which still seemed a little high but better). So i took it out fore a test run, and at about 5,000 rmp the engine pulls back and i felt less power getting up also.

im stumped as to why this is happeing, i thought i would run better with the timing set right. anyone know whats wrong

Stravi,

Sounds good.

Side note, please stop using IM when posting here. We do not allow it in the forums.

This thread explains why..

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115824

Okay, so i changed the fuel filter and it didn't fix the problem. I did notice something else though. When i set the timing at 20 BTDC and started the engine, i am getting a cloud of smoke. I will sometimes get this upon acceleration when driving around also. Im thinking that its unburned fuel?

If im running too rich, would this be a reason for me losing power at higher rpm's now VS. when my timing was advanced?

i am getting a cloud of smoke.

What COLOR is the smoke?

Why did you adjust the timing down if it was running great?

Have you checked the spark plugs (gap & tip color)?

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Have you checked the a/f ratio?

Have you tried advancing the timing back to 34*?

Have you checked ALL sensors and connections?

These are all basic things to check... all of which can be found in your Haynes manual or FSM.

What COLOR is the smoke? smoke looked dark

Why did you adjust the timing down if it was running great? because it doesnt seem right to be driving it with the timing so far advanced...it makes me nervous.

Have you checked the spark plugs (gap & tip color)? gaps are good, plugs are black

Have you checked the fuel pressure? nope

Have you checked the a/f ratio? nope

Have you tried advancing the timing back to 34*? yes, runs better, high idle though

Have you checked ALL sensors and connections? yes and cleaned them

I didn't know "dark" was a color.

ok, well it smells of gasoline...

my guess for it running rich is maybe bad o2 sensor, bad water temp sensor, or the AFM.

I took if for another test ride and it was driving much better and there is less smoke(almost not visible anymore) and i haven't changed anything since last time i drove it.

• 2 weeks later...
Never trust the 'smell' test these are 30 year old cars that weren't that well insulated to begin with.

your right, but i dont think its oil and my coolant level isnt going down.

so ive been messing with the car for a while now and i still cant figure it out, i tried tightening the afm, that didn't work. my injectors sound fine. i dont hear any vacuum leaks. i tried a different set of plugs and wires. i rechecked all of my connections. and ive tried a bunch of other things that i cant think of right now.

I suspect that you have a timing indicator that is incorrect or a nonstock pulley. If you initially were running 34 deg. advance at idle, by the time the mechanical advance kicked in you would be running 40+ degs. of advance. Detonation would almost be guaranteed.

I would check your indicators accuracy.

Mongo

Is the dowel pin on the cam in the #2 hole? Is there anything you need to disconnect when checking your timing? You should also be able to change idle independent of timing. Set your timing, check your idle, adjust your idle to spec, then re-check timing. Also might want to check your all in timing (full advance) and make sure your getting that. It would explain why your slugish on the top end.

• Like 1

Is the dowel pin on the cam in the #2 hole? Is there anything you need to disconnect when checking your timing? You should also be able to change idle independent of timing. Set your timing, check your idle, adjust your idle to spec, then re-check timing. Also might want to check your all in timing (full advance) and make sure your getting that. It would explain why your slugish on the top end.

so i put the timing light on it again and got some weird results. im not sure at what rpm the advance is supposed to come in, anyways. i put the timing light on and i advanced the timing on the gun 20 degrees so it would read at 0 degrees instead of 20 degrees btdc so i would be able to read the advance easier when revving . when i started reving the car at about 3,500 rpm the timing mark was reading at 30 degrees btdc from 0, i tried reving it again at about 3,100 rpm and the timing didnt advance at all it actually retarted about 5 degrees and my exhaust was poping the whole time...is there something wrong with my distributor

now when i rev it to even just 1,300 rpm it advances to 30 from 0

Somthing weird with your dizzy. So are you saying you have 50 deg. total advance at 3500 RPM?

yes. and then sometimes it doesn't advance at all.

Ok I tried it again and these were my results.Ii didnt advance the timing on the gun this time. the timing at idle was reading 20 degrees btdc, idle ranges between 670-720 mostly. when i gave it just a little gas the idle would retartd to 10 btdc, then when i reved it to about 4,000 the timing would read about 35-45 btdc(couldnt really tell because it was below timing marks. But sometimes it would go to 30 btdc.

everytime i check this my numbers are never consistent and i dont know why.

ok so i have bubbles in my oil :( and white smoke after i turned the car off was coming from my turbo. not sure why tho

and i did a comp test just now once again and my numbers are fine

and also the last test drive i did i tried putting in a different ecu and it ran better. but i am still getting alot of smoke.

Edited by stravi757