HybridZ

wiring up wasted spark V6 nissan

I've got a RB20 swap in my S130 and I've replaced the factory coil packs with a set of universal Accel wires and a Buick Gran National coil pack. It's a wasted spark set-up. Been working great for years. Now my friend wants to replace the COP set-up on his J30 Maxima VE30DE with this set-up. I've gotten to the point where I need to figure out the pairing of cylinders. On the RB20 it went 1=6 2=5 3=4. But I think V6 fire differently. The VE30DE is suppose to fire 1-2-3-4-5-6 so Would this be correct way to wire the wasted spark. 1=4 2=5 3=6. Just want to confirm this is correct before I cut the wires to length.

Yes, that would be correct.

The GM 60 degree V6 uses a firing order of 1-2-3-4-5-6, and the paired cylinders are 1-4, 2-5, 3-6. Just verify the coil order (A-B-C, or A-C-B, etc) to make sure you have the correct order of coils firing to cylinder firing order.

I drew out the Nissan firing order, and GM 60 degree V6 firing order side by side a few times to make sure what I though was right for re-ordering the coils was right.

Basically I wrote the one firing order above the other, and matched cylinders this way.

In essence:

1-2-3-4-5-6 - GM 60 degree firing order

1-5-3-6-2-4 - Nissan L-series firing order

I then went to the coil pack which was mounted to the strut tower at the time and ran each cylinder number to the coresponding coil tower numbered on the coil themselves. (60 degree GM coils are labled for each cylinder)

So what I ended up with was coil tower 1 connected to cylinder 1, coil tower number 2 connected to 5, coil tower number 3 connected to cylinder 3, coil tower number 4 connected to cylinder 6, coil tower number 5 connected to cylinder 2 and coil tower number 6 connected to cylinder number 4.

It's sometimes easiest to draw things out to better visualize what you need to end up with. ;)