HybridZ

Timing mark not lining up

MikeP

I thought my damper pulley on my 83 280zx turbo had seperated.I know this happens when the timing mark on the pulley doesn't line up to "0" on the indicator plate at tdc.Well, that's the case for me.

I turned the crank and lined up the timing mark on the pulley to "0" on the indicator plate and the rotor was pointin the 180 deg position.I never took out the oil pump shaft so i know that's not the issue.

Well, i tried to make a new timing mark on the pulley.Set the motor to tdc.Made sure the rotor was pointing to the #1 spark plug.Started the car and then turned it off.

I set the motor again to tdc and the new timing mark isn't lining up to the "0" postion.I had an extra damper pulley from an 83 280zxt and decided to install it.I had the same problem.I thought it may have something to do with the timing chain,but i'm not sure.Any help would be much appreciated.

I turned the crank and lined up the timing mark on the pulley to "0" on the indicator plate and the rotor was pointin the 180 deg position.

If the rotor is 180 off, couldn't you just rotate the crank through another cycle and then the rotor will be dead on? If the car runs okay, it's not 180* off.

If the rotor is 180 off, couldn't you just rotate the crank through another cycle and then the rotor will be dead on? If the car runs okay, it's not 180* off.

The car runs just fine with plenty of power.I can try what you mentioned.I hope this solves the problem.