HybridZ

1981 280zx engine swap help

wanted to know if there's gonna be any changes i have to make when i do this swap?

Learn to inform yourself from the wealth of knowledge in the search engine.

This way you can ask direct questions and more direct answers can be given;).

I think what these guys are saying is that we all have a different perspective on our cars and that you need to search to find what will meet your needs.

Swapping to a turbo sounds easy and is but are you sure your chasis can handle more hp ? And are you throwing a 200,000 mile engine in and expecting greater hp ? You need to figure out your budget and your expectations.

There are problems like the steering box of your zx will be right beside your turbo, heating it and limiting options of upgrading the turbo. Fuel pump, wiring harness and cpu, exhaust,will need to come from donor car. If you have a turbo motor from an automatic you will need to change flywheel.

Good luck on your project.

FYI

I built a l28et last year and spent many $'s and hrs on it, to find out when I went to do the swap that the battery had overcharge once and all the acid had eaten the frame rail where it meets the pass. floor.

I could of turn the car into a prettzel with the hp I am putting into her.

Its pretty easy, just start doing some searches like. l28et swap, turbo swap, n/a to turbo ect. don't get frustrated if you cant find what your looking for when you search, it will eventually pop up. just doing some reading on this site and you will figure it out. I came on this site with no mechanic skill at all, i didnt know a single thing about cars and i was able to do a turbo swap with no help. not trying to brag, just saying if i could do it anyone can.

PS. make sure to bookmark threads on turbo swaps.:mrgreen:

Thanks, I did find some things on craigslist like a T5 Transmission for 250 bucks, also I plan on keeping my L28E motor I saw that someone was selling a msa stage 3 cam the forum is really helping out a lot with this swap I will be on this forum a lot to keep checking and making sure I'm doing everything right.

Thanks flatblack280 for that info I also wanted to add that I won't be working on this project by myself my mechanic is gonna help me out and so I want to be there to learn and know my engine from top to bottom.

It will be the same flywheel and pressure plate size for the t5 anyways.

Just saying, if you have an na just keep it untill you blow it.

If it is in good shape that will be a long time, also it should give you longer gears.

Good job on finding out those details, just trying to save you a buck or two, is your na box good?

Also that turbo/2+2 fly is 240mm.

BTW, tail shaft as well.

well my car tops out real quick and i only have a spec stage 2 clutch, cold air intake, and flowmaster exhaust, i would think the T5 is better because it came out the last year of the S130's and plus i heard there real good tranny's thats why i wanna go with it, plus my (sinkrose) on first second and third might be going out it might just be that the clutch needs to be adjusted i dont know?

my R180 diff u joint is going out makes a noise when i put it in first gear or it vibrates when i'm in a high gear at low speeds, i just found out cuz i got under my car and test it where the sound came from i thought it was the catalysic converter loose but nope.

also a friend of mine here in town is going to check out some parts for me maybe his buddy has a R200 diff i can buy.

i got the L28ET sitting at my mechanics shop but how can i tell the year the guy who i bought it from had no idea and is there like a serial # i can look up???

i wanted to add friday night after work i raced a fastback 240sx that had a Sr20 swap and my car was able to keep up fairly good with it made me think if i had the L28ET motor i would had smoke him worse than he smoke me he only got like one car in a half ahead not as fast i amagined the SR20's to be?