HybridZ

75Z with 81L28et wont run or idle

New to s30 or even Nissan for that matter first and for most.

I just bought a 75 280z with an 81 L28et swapped in and running (sorta)

i fixed some leaks and such and finally took it for a boot for a few spins around the block. it drove well but was completely gutless. I could hear the turbo spool but my sisters tercel had more guts!

I bring it back home and i fix another oil leak i found, once again took it for a test spin. Once again gutless (of course as i changed nothing) but when i went to shift into 3rd gear the car stalled out and died. I tried to start it up a few times but it wouldnt fire up. took out the plugs and they were wet with fuel (most likely from trying to crank it over).

the next day comes, i put the plugs back in and tried to start it.

It fired up once i gave it some gas, the idle was horrible and would only stay running if i revved it. On top of that a huge cloud of gray smoke started coming out of the exhaust.

im getting fuel and spark so could it be timing? From reading a haynes it states that i need to re possession the crank angle sensor in order to adjust ignition timing?! the bolts where on tight so how could it have moved. Also how to i go abouts adjusting this form of ignition timing. Just move it around till it runs ok??!

One other thing. It seems like i could loosen the bolts of the dizzy and adjust it. If according to the manual i cant adjust timing with the dizzy then why does it look like i can turn it a few degrees?

im pretty confused with this and any help would be great

I suggest that you can ahold of a timing light and see what your timing is as. From there adjust it to spec by turning the distributor.

So even though the manual states not to touch the dizzy i should adjust it? how can i tell what and N/A dizzy looks like compared to a turbo?

Secondly without me on the gas the car will not run so adjusting the ign timing is tough:icon51:

it was the AFM. it keeps getting stuck open.

as it turns out though my timing is off by a good bit.

Also the PO removed the idle control valve located on the throttle body and JB welded the opening. Is this a common practice when modding these turbo engines?