HybridZ

Dynomax super turbo 3" muffler is not a true 3"

5.Z

Okay so I'm doing a mustang 5.0 motor swap and doing a dual 2.5" Y with outlet of 3". So naturaly I ordered the super turbo 3" for quiet exhaust.

What I recieve however is what looks like a 2.5" muffler WITH a 2.5" to 3" flare on each end.

What's the deal? Is this how dynomax makes the so called 3" muffler? By simply adding flare/reducer on each end?

Note: it's a good thing that it's a temp exhaust setup until I get all my turbo parts otherwise I would really be upset about this.

I have seen that (just bigger ends).

You need to pay attention to the muffler case size. They typically give the measurements.

I fit a larger case 3 inch dynomax turbo into a first gen but it is tight. Had to cut the input end off close to the case to fit it in. then welded the short 90 mandrel bends right up to the muffler.

The bigger case muffler sounded better than the regular sized case and made noticeable more power (spun the tires easier at lower rpm).

And you probably paid more for the this muffler then for a 2.5". Buy Borla.

Yup I did. Had I known I would have baught the 2.5" version.

And I payed extra attention when I was purchasing. But there's no way to know when ordering online when they say " 3" intlet and outlet" plus the pics that they have shows no flare. Dam these recycled photo LOL

How much power and trq will a muffler design like this cost me compare to a true 3" in/out?

Is borla as quiet as the super turbo? I was looking for the quietest muffler that has little or no power loss and the super turbo is the quietest I found

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Mufflers/Brand/Dynomax-Performance/Universal/Yes/Case-Shape/Oval/Inlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/Outlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/Outlet-Quantity/Single/Internal-Construction/Turbo-style/Outlet-Location/Offset/?keyword=muffler

dynomax sells at least 4 mufflers with 3 inch pipe with an offset outlet.

17770 (20 inch case)

17789 (30 inch case)

17743 (14 inch case)

17792 (16 inch case)

you most likely have the 14 inch case. the 16 fits with some trimming.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Mufflers/Brand/Dynomax-Performance/Universal/Yes/Case-Shape/Oval/Inlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/Outlet-Diameter-in/3-000-in/Outlet-Quantity/Single/Internal-Construction/Turbo-style/Outlet-Location/Offset/?keyword=muffler

dynomax sells at least 4 mufflers with 3 inch pipe with an offset outlet.

17770 (20 inch case)

17789 (30 inch case)

17743 (14 inch case)

17792 (16 inch case)

you most likely have the 14 inch case. the 16 fits with some trimming.

I got the 16" case :) and I got the one with offset intlet and center outlet

With your first post I misunderstood. So your saying that the inlet/outlet doesn't matter IN MY CASE as much as the case size? Or did I misunderstood you again? LOL

I got the 16" case :) and I got the one with offset intlet and center outlet

With your first post I misunderstood. So your saying that the inlet/outlet doesn't matter IN MY CASE as much as the case size? Or did I misunderstood you again? LOL

The standard turbo muffler and most commonly sold uses a 14 x 4.5 inch oval case. The next bigger size is 16 x 5.5 which is quite a bit bigger and barely fits in the stock z muffler location.

a bigger case will flow better. try it get the biggest case that you can.

you should use a offset outlet because it hides the muffler better.

I did a single V8 (350 chevy) exhaust system on a friends Z. The bigger case sounded much better than the smaller case. Furthermore, you should really plan to install two dynomax bullets up front along with the dynomax turbo in the rear. When I first did the exhaust it sounded terrible with only one muffler in the rear. The drone was unbearable in the car and the exhaust outside also sounded terrible in a weird way. The twin bullets fixed it. Now it makes a nice deep quiet idle, quiet while driving slow, and impressive sounding when on the throttle. hard to believe but the bullets up front made a "night and day" difference.

i've never had any issues with magnaflow. every single one has been the true size through and through....plus i've never been let down by the sound....they sounds awesome on every vehicle i've installed them on.
My experience is different. I bought a 4" in/dual 3" out and was extremely disappointed to find the inside pipe is actually closer to 3.5" and the outlets are about 2.5" and the welds and transitions are disgusting... really, disgusting. Fortunately, my plans changed a bit and I can make this work for me but I'm still upset about it.

yes, the bullets before the y-pipe.

My final build was this.......I ran 2-1/2 pipes off the block huggers headers, then put in a short H-pipe right after the trans, then dual 12 inch bullets, then to the Y-pipe (dual 2-1/2 to single 3 inch), then to 2 mandrel bent 90's and the large case turbo muffler on the end.

If I was going to do it over, then I would use 2-1/4 pipe off the headers instead of the 2-1/2 pipe. As two 2-1/4's are already bigger in cross sectional area as one 3 inch pipe, making two 2-1/2's over kill and a harder fit under a z.

snip.... As two 2-1/4's are already bigger in cross sectional area as one 3 inch pipe, making two 2-1/2's over kill and a harder fit under a z.
The cross-sectional area and the volume aren't the whole story. Two things missing from the equation are heat and friction in each of the setups. I don't know fluid dynamics well enough to expound further while retaining written coherence so I'll leave it at that for now.

The cross-sectional area and the volume aren't the whole story. Two things missing from the equation are heat and friction in each of the setups. I don't know fluid dynamics well enough to expound further while retaining written coherence so I'll leave it at that for now.

Yes, that is true. 2-1/4 has more surface area to cross section than 3 inch, thus making it not as efficient. However, most exhaust theory articles will say dual 2-1/4's are equal to one 3 inch. The theory is 2-1/4 is good for 200 crank hp and 3 inch is good for 400 crank hp.

dual 2-1/4 have cross sectional area of 7.09 square inches.

a single 3 inch has 6.5 square inches.

the dual 2-1/4's have more friction but the extra area makes up for it.