HybridZ

Turbo LS1 240z Build

• 1 month later...

Working on the new setup for 2013. I drew up the plan for the twin setup. Here are some photos of the beginning of the merger for the exhaust. I want to have the turbo's oriented before mapping out the rest of the piping. I measured so I can use the ports in the top of the radiator support for air filter pipes. (March 2013)

v3plan.jpg merge1.jpg merge2.jpg merge3.jpg merge4.jpg

I made a bracket to support the turbos. It will attach the turbo's to the radiator support. I also ordered the 4 inch bends so I can build the new exhaust which will incorporate a magnaflow muffler. (March. 2013)

bracket1.jpg bracket2.jpg bracket3.jpg bracket4.jpg

Collecting Parts. I'm going to attempt to fit a 4 inch in/out Magnaflow Muffler in the front fender. I also had some water port flanges cnc for the lq4. It will use 3/4npt to 12an fittings. My hope is to less restrictive and run cooler. That and they look cool. (March. 2013)

magnaflow.jpg waterfittings1.jpg waterfittings2.jpg waterfittings3.jpg

I got the turbos hanging in the engine bay. I kind want them an inch higher so I may redo the brackets but haven't decided. I also put the muffler in to see how it will fit. I think I will need to run the intercooler pipe on the other side of the motor to make room for the ubend going into the muffler. I need to see how the intercooler fits behind the dash before I make the final decision on that though. Exhaust mandrel bent pipes should be in tomorrow so I can get some more built this weekend. (March. 2013)

twinmock1.jpg twinmock2.jpg twinmock3.jpg

If anyone is interested in the water pump outlet flange above I can get a group buy started. It would be 80.00 for a pair shipped in the USA. I would need to let them know in the next couple of weeks though.

Edited by sq_creations

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks and good luck with your sale and build. I have a few friends on TSC but Im not on there much. I have the same screen name on there too.

Here is the picture of the air to water intercooler that I plan on putting in the dash. Hopefully it will fit. The piping and couplers came in so I can build the exhaust. The exhaust is starting to take shape.

a2wintercooler.jpg mandrels.jpg 4inchexhaust2.jpg 4inchexhaust1.jpg

What manifold is that?

I'm running 2 passanger side truck manifolds. 02 silverado I believe (non egr).

Since there will be no more front mount intercooler sitting behind the bumper I sourced a grill to put back in. It needed alittle tlc but it looks pretty good now and matches the engine bay.

grill1.jpg grill2.jpg grill3.jpg

The turbo hot pipes are really coming together now. The muffler is in place with the 4 inch pipe heading to the merger. A 4 inch vband will be added in where the pipes meet but aren't tacked together yet. The passager side manifold wraps under the 4 inch exhaust to feed that turbo. The drivers side is more direct. Next up will be the wastegates.

4inchexhaust3.jpg passmani1.jpg passmani2.jpg drivermani1.jpg hotpipes1.jpg hotpipes2.jpg

• 5 months later...

CNC crazy for this update. Lots of eye candy created by my machinist buddy Arthur. First up is a oil cap breather that will take a fitting for the oil catch can. Next is a oil feed block that will supply the turbo oil. Finally we have some new wheel spacers to replace the old universal ones.

breathercap.jpgcncoilblock.jpg cncspacer1.jpg cncspacer2.jpg

Reassembling the 6.0 lq4. Machine work was done at Budlongs to cut and polish the crank. I ordered some new rings from Wiseco so its nice and fresh. Next up was cleaning the coil packs and giving them a fresh coat of paint while I wait on parts. Unfortunately there was some collateral damage from the 5.3l. Looks like the comp cam took some hits from a rod so its not going into the new build. A custom grind from tick performance is the most likely going in.

newrings.jpg shortblock.jpg coilscleaned.jpg compdamage.jpg

Plans have changed for the intercooler. The turbos will now be forward facing and feed directly into the air to water intercooler and then straight into the throttle body. It should look cool and minimize piping and spool time. Pictured are the mockup in paper and cutting off the cast tanks.

Intercoolermockup2.jpg intercoolermockup.jpg a2wcut1.jpg a2wcut2.jpg

Made some progress on the intercooler end tanks. I'm still not sure if the turbo's will enter from the front or sides so I simplified the design to accommodate either entry.

metalbreak.jpg template.jpg endtank1.jpg endtank2.jpg endtank3.jpg endtank4.jpg

The radiator support was next up on the list to be redesigned. I wanted to achieve 3 goals move it forward for more room for the turbos, give the ground more clearance, and have a way to attach aero panels. In the first picture you see the new structure added, then the next picture the radiator is mocked up in position and old support removed, then we have a front shot to show new angle and clearance. (Oct. 2013)

radsupport1.jpg radsupport2.jpg radsupport3.jpg

Edited by sq_creations

I like the Dotsun spacers.  That is great machine work.  Does your friend do work for your friends??  I'm working on a 2-caliper backing plate for wildwood dynalites so that I can run a hand operated staging brake independent of my main system.  I would be modifying from the AZC braket.