HybridZ

Turbo LS1 240z Build

You'll need to run the alternator directly to the battery and nothing else. Then run the battery to the kill switch and the kill switch to everything else. I ran to starter then fuse box etc. I have the push off style switch. The reason is when you push the kill switch the alternator can keep the car running. jrshoot2.jpg

I keep hoping there is some way to avoid running another large gauge cable all the way down the frame rail, but I guess it must be.  I've seen some wiring diagrams that are crazy with extra circuit brakers, diodes and all kinds of crazy stuff.  Heard lots of speculation about powering down the ECM causing problems.  Seems like that stuff is just so much BS.  Will knock it out based on your advice and post-up a thread on it.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The new forward facing turbo mount will bolt in to the chassis and the turbochargers will attach to the center section on the oil feed flange side. The new cam comes from Tick performance and is custom spec'd to this build. The valve train is being fortified with BTR .660 lift spring kit. Thank you again Road Runner Eye Mart for the support. (Oct. 2013)

turboffmount1.jpg turboffmount2.jpg turboffmount3.jpg tickcam.jpg btrsprings.jpg

Ive started mocking my twins up this week. I had to cut some holes in the fenders but the placement is perfect to run a dual inlet/outlet intercooler and 2.5 MAYBE 3'' exhaust under the manifolds and outback. Loving your build.. hoping to incorporate a few of the things your doing into mine.

post-41295-0-26644900-1383011922_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thisguy

One of the things I have wanted to improve is getting in and out of the car easier. The swing out bars from CCE didn't open quite far enough. This is a design I saw on the internet and had replicated. It started as solid mild steel and was machined into what you see. They are pretty beefy and should withstand a impact I hopefully will never have.

swingout01.jpg swingout02.jpg swingout03.jpg swingout04.jpg

To get the turbo mounting brace in the desired position the fender needed some more material. Filler metal was added to the inner fenders and then the bracket itself welded in. The turbo's are now in there new location. In an attempt to visualize the intercooler placement I used some duct tape to hang it. It sort of worked.

turbobrace1.jpg turbobrace2.jpg turbobrace3.jpg turbobrace4.jpg

There are 12 inches from the back of the turbo brace to the throttle body. I want the intercooler as close to the t-body as possible so the air doesn't heat up again. I laid out the pipes to see how they would fit. The goal here is to maximize air flow and velocity into the core. I'm leaning toward mirroring the original t-body side tank so I can have a more direct inlet from the turbo. (Oct. 2013)

icpipe0.jpg icpipe1.jpg icpipe2.jpg icpipe3.jpg

The new intercooler endtank for the turbo side along with the new bov flange. The bov flange will need to be shortened and possibly angled to clear the radiator fan. I also got the cam in the motor and degreed. The head is only temporarily on to check clearances. It still needs the ARP studs and ls9 gaskets added.

newictank1.jpg mirrorictanks.jpg bovflange.jpg camdegree.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They are oil cooled. I have a feed block from right above the oil filter. http://www.sq-creations.com/240z/cncoilblock.jpg

Got another update:

The first picture is of the new mount to support the air to water intercooler. Next is the inlet side piping being fitted. Then the throttle body side being fitted. Finally on this round is the bov pipe being mocked up.

intercoolermount.jpg icinlet1.jpg icinlet2.jpg ictbody1.jpg ictbody2.jpg icbov1.jpg icbov2.jpg

Now its time to work on the hot side pipes feeding the turbos. First up is the drivers side pipe. I got started on the passengers side but didn't get finished on this round. (Nov. 2013)

dhotpipe1.jpg dhotpipe2.jpg photpipe1.jpg

They are oil cooled. I have a feed block from right above the oil filter. http://www.sq-creations.com/240z/cncoilblock.jpg

Got another update:

The first picture is of the new mount to support the air to water intercooler. Next is the inlet side piping being fitted. Then the throttle body side being fitted. Finally on this round is the bov pipe being mocked up.

intercoolermount.jpg icinlet1.jpg icinlet2.jpg ictbody1.jpg ictbody2.jpg icbov1.jpg icbov2.jpg

Now its time to work on the hot side pipes feeding the turbos. First up is the drivers side pipe. I got started on the passengers side but didn't get finished on this round. (Nov. 2013)

dhotpipe1.jpg dhotpipe2.jpg photpipe1.jpg

I have a block off plate like that on mine. I wouldnt have thought that size hole could flow enough oil for two turbos, thanks for the idea. I might thave to try that.

Got an exciting update this round. The passenger pipe feeding the turbo is in place. Now its time to build the twin 3 inch exhaust that merges into a 4 inch magnaflow muffler. The Driver side pipe is feed into a 3 to 4 inch transition cone before it makes the roller coaster turn. Then the passenger side gets merged right before the muffler. Finally for this round are the wastegates getting positioned. Had a little hiccup on this round though. One of the casters on my harbor freight welding cart came apart while being repositioned and everything almost toppled over. I caught it and now have new casters on the cart. (Nov. 2013)

photpipe2.jpg twinexhaust1.jpg twinexhaust2.jpg twinexhaust3.jpg twinexhaust4.jpg twinexhaust5.jpg wastegate1.jpg wastegate2.jpg brokencart.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...