HybridZ

Turbo LS1 240z Build

I purchased this 240z from Lason on here. It has alot of stuff I was planing to do to a 240z once I found it. I got it for a reasonable price and have a great car to start my new project.

240z1.jpg

240zinterior1.jpg

240zinterior2.jpg

240zrearaxel1.jpg

The Borg Warner s480

240zturbo1.jpg

The engine was in pieces when I got it. I have about 60% of the engine and I'm starting to get parts now. Below you see the bare block I am tring to piece together. Also the new Wiseco pistons, Manley rods, Melling Oil Pump, Trickflow timing set, and some used Comp Cams Valvesprings.

240zeng1.jpg

240zeng4.jpg

240zeng3.jpg

I started working on the heads this week. I pulled the valvesprings out because I plan to upgrade them. The head wasn't as clean as I hoped after being hot-tanked so I pulled the valves out and started scrubing. Then I decided the casting need to be smoothed out a bit a the valve could stand to be lapped. I have one head cleaned up but still have the other to do.

headwork1.jpg

headwork2.jpg

headwork3.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start, that's a nice car.

I would be wary of used valve springs. They're a wear item, just like tires or brake pads. Be sure you have them checked for seat pressure and pressure at max lift, and be sure they meet your cam specs.

jt

Thanks for the input. I dropped off the rotating assembly to get balanced today. I'll take the springs over and have them checked before I assemble the head. Hoping to put the short block together this weekend.

Some of the other stuff going on. I have decided to pull my Aem Ems off of my integra and it is now back on a chipped ecu. So I am going to build a harness to run the ls1 on a 1040 box. I know alot of the mustang guys use ls1 coils on there ems' and my box is already modded for hall effect sensors. I'm drawing up the plans and will post them once I get it all sorted.

Because of this I have a msd 6ls for sale if any one needs it.

Here's an update of whats been going on.

I finished cleaning up the heads and put them together. My Cometic Head gaskets, TCI Flex plate, and oem damper came in too. Now the rotating assembly will get balanced.

comp918.jpg

headstogether.jpg

cometic.jpg

flywheel.jpg

After mocking up the truck pan on the motor and measuring the bottom of the pan compared to the motor mounts I determined I only had 2 inches of ground clearance with out the weight of the motor in the car. This would probably rest the motor on the ground once installed. I picked up this corvette oil pan with the idea that I would have to cut off the wings and weld it up but I think I might be able to keep it as is. It is 5 inches deep compared to 9 inches of the truck pan. I do not plan on running the exhaust under the car and it looks like the wings will clear the frame.

oilpan2.jpg

I started measuring my clearances and gapping my rings.

rings.jpg

Final putting it together. At this point I have the pistons in. I'm still waiting for my lifters to show up(3wks so far). GMPP/Galles (local dealer) are totally screwing me right now. Then I can put the heads on and measure for pushrods.

crank.jpg

pistonrods.jpg

pistonsin1.jpg

pistonsin2.jpg

Wait a minute! This thing is going to be a street car??!!

It will see some street action but alot of track action. The car is on drag radials. There is a local competition (that I hope is still around next season) That requires you to make a 30 mile drive to the track then race. I'll take it to work once and a while too. hehe.

there is the newest update:

I put the windage tray, crank sensor, and oil pan on. I was putting the flex plate on when I discovered the motor was hanging up on something internally. I have been checking as I go along so allot of cursing in sued. After rechecking the windage tray and disassembling it. I discovered that the crank sensor was hitting where the machine shop had welded in the weight when the crank was balanced. I ground it down and now everything is happy again.

oilpickup.jpg

oilpanon.jpg

The first customizing hurtle has arrived. The bracket for the alternator I have was intended for an aluminum ls1 block and doesn't fit the 6.0 iron block. The iron block is missing the location for a bolt I have labeled 2 and a I needed to drill and tap location 1. I was able to modify the bracket I had by adding another arm going to a bolt location on the head.

alternatormount01.jpg

alternatormount02.jpg

alternatormount03.jpg

alternatormount04.jpg

alternatormount05.jpg

alternatormount06.jpg

sq creations: 499 Gram pistons? Dam those things are heavy. Good to see the progress with the build.

I guess they are on the heavier side. I looked up some comparisons after I saw this. I have had good luck with wiseco pistons in the past with other cars I've had. Hopefully the added weight will take the abuse better?

wiseco lists as 502grams

Arias 413grams

JE 395grams

A small update. The epic quest for lifters has come to an end. It only to 6 weeks and 2 companies to get them here but they arrived last night. I also got my intake manifold in. I hope to have a good update for you guys in day or two.

Okay, you need to go in depth on how you're planning on running your water pump system. I see you have fittings welded on plates already. I must know more.

I also want to run an electric water pump to make setting up the pulley system easier, but it seems like the only ones for the LS motors are around $600.00. Way more than I'd be willing to spend. But it looks like you've got that figured out, and it should be super efficient.

More info plz.