HybridZ

Turbo LS1 240z Build

Thank you very much Eric. Great name by the way. The oil pan fits great. I can fit my hand between the frame and pan. I did have to swing the motor into place when installing it though. The fuel rail has a third brace on either side holding it to the intake elbow now. I could lift the motor from the rails now. lol (maybe not).

It was really great meeting fellow z owners and in such an inviting atmosphere. I hope to attend many more meets. You can come by whenever. Weekends are best. I'll pm you my number.

Now for a small update. First up is a video I did last week. Its of me testing the transbrake out.

I finally installed the brake kit from silverminemotors.com. It has vented and sloted 300zx rotors with custom adapter plates and toyota 4 piston calipers. It is a really nice looking kit.

Before

stockbrakes.jpg

After

newbrakes.jpg

I also picked up some wheel spacers and some extended lugs. I went to oreilly auto and after some trial and error came up with some dorman 610-320 studs.

wheelstuds.jpg

wheelspacers.jpg

• 2 months later...

Finally got some numbers for you guys. I took it to the dyno last thursday and put down 511whp & 454wtq on 8psi. I want to run 20psi. I'm not able to go over 8 psi yet. I'm trying to figure that out currently. I hit the same boost with the ams-1000 set to add 7psi or 30psi to the spring pressure. I want to see if a small a/r exhaust housing is available.

I took it to the track friday night and got three passes in. All three were 11.1 @ 132~133mph. I haven't setup the 2 step yet but on the t-brake it would hit about 4 psi then ramp up to 8 at 6500 then hold 8 threw 2nd gear. Ams-1000 ebc is still set to add 20psi to the top port on the wastegate. I'm pretty happy overall with my first shake down passes. I drove it 45min's to the track, clicked off three passes and drove 45min's home. Nothing broke, the car went straight and mph is about what I expect. 2 tenths would have been nice though. lol.

Thanks bro!

An picture update:

In an attempt to meet all the nhra rules I was told I needed a firewall to separate the fuel cell from the driver. This is what I came up with. It is made of 20 gauge (min 24 is required). It is sealed with rtv in side too.

fuelfirewall1.jpg

fuelfirewall2.jpg

fuelfirewall3.jpg

fuelfirewall4.jpg

I installed a new tachometer that reads off a spark plug wire. The autometer would only go as low as 2 rev per cycle and I needed a 1 rev per cycle to get it to read. I went with the smaller tach to offset it. Now I can see it threw the steering wheel.

newtach.jpg

I finally installed the window net too. It came out nice if I do say so.

windownet.jpg

Here are some numbers finally. I was only able to get it up to 8 psi so far. It put down 511whp and 454wtq on the dyno so far. I want to try a smaller a/r exhaust housing and eventually a different torque converter.

datsun8psi.jpg

I went out the the track and clicked of 3 pass at 11.1 and 133mph. The car did great and it's consistent. I still want to wire up some stuff to the aem for a 3 step. On the t-brake I'm launching on about 3psi but it takes a while to build boost.

datsun11timeslip.jpg

Here is a shot on the way out to the track with Aj in his 10sec neon.

eric-aj.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some trouble getting my t6 S480 to spool up so this is what I came up with. It used a wrx wastegate I had laying around which will have its own boost controller so I can adjust when the flapper opens. The divided housing was originally a 1.32 ar. So I figure its now .66 before the flapper opens now.

The "quick Spool" valve is quickly gaining popularity in the LS1 crowd, especially the rear mount turbo guys. If you go on tech and search "zombie quick spool valve" there is a lot of info about it. I've often wondered why no front mount guys use one, as it dramatically reduces spool time. Looking forward to seeing your experience!

and No, it's not a datsun, but it's the same concept as your car

AND, He's from KANSAS. New stock bottom end LS Record!

• 3 weeks later...

YEAH QUICK SPOOL!!!!!!!!

Quickspool002.jpg

Dude, I love that you went 11.1 @ 133mph on only 8psi... It took me 22psi to get a 134 trap out of half the engine size you are running.

You bump that thing up to 15-20 psi and it will put you in the 8's. You got the cage cert, now you just gotta get a better launch and maybe slightly more power to start pulling your 9.9's so you can get your license. After that, let all hell break loose!

You are ahead of me though. I still have to go get my cage certified. And I just found out my fire suit is only good to like a 10.0 or 135mph or something like that. :angry:

Well I tried out the quick spool on the street and the dyno. It didn't work to well for me. It ended up only hitting about 4psi with the quick spool closed and the flapper never opened (should have around 12~14psi). I disconnected the flapper to let stay open and the boost went back to 8psi. This was all done with the wastegate disconnect. I even went a step further and covered the outlet of the wastegate with aluminum foil to confirm the wastegate wasn't venting. At this point I have decided to dig into the car again. I plan on redoing all the pre-turbo stuff. Starting with cast manifolds and running smaller 2.5 inch piping to the turbo. Also thinking about selling this turbo to go with a t4 78~80mm turbo.

Thanks John. Your car is moving too. I wish I could get out of the hole like that. What is wrong with your fire suit? Single layer?

Edited by sq_creations

Well I tried out the quick spool on the street and the dyno. It didn't work to well for me. It ended up only hitting about 4psi with the quick spool closed and the flapper never opened (should have around 12~14psi). I disconnected the flapper to let stay open and the boost went back to 8psi. This was all done with the wastegate disconnect. I even went a step further and covered the outlet of the wastegate with aluminum foil to confirm the wastegate wasn't venting. At this point I have decided to dig into the car again. I plan on redoing all the pre-turbo stuff. Starting with cast manifolds and running smaller 2.5 inch piping to the turbo. Also thinking about selling this turbo to go with a t4 78~80mm turbo.

Thanks John. Your car is moving too. I wish I could get out of the hole like that. What is wrong with your fire suit? Single layer?

That's weird that it didn't work. Did you pressurize the actuator before installing everything to make sure the valve was opening correctly? I Have a video of mine working. Sound is super distorted though since the camera is in the engine bay. After I hooked everything up on mine, it all worked like normal (same boost level), however boost just came on quicker like it was supposed to.

As far as the fire suit goes, yeah it is just a single layer. I didn't know that it was only going to be good for right where I'm at now. Had I known that, I would have gotten one good into the 8's...

that is a very large turbo, what are your ultimate power goals? i am running a 72mm turbo on my turbo ls1 240z and i spool almost instantly and hit 508 whp on 9.5 psi and 545 tq on a bone stock ls1 with pump gas and a conservative tune, my best trap has been 136 and my best et is 10.24 in street trim and on dots and thats with a t56 with a auto i would be in the 9s, next week the ls1 is coming out and i am putting a Cadillac cts-v ls6 crate motor in it. i am trying to figure out by looking at your set up what is holding you back at only 8 psi, you should be well in the 10s, mine went 10.4 on 8 psi. if you need any help hit me up.

Edited by 240zRacer

• 1 month later...

240zRacer- My goal is mid 9's.

An Update:

It looks like the wastegate was a limiting factor. I blocked it off with a metal plate and I now hits 18psi. I took it to the dyno again and laid down 695hp and 595tq sae corrected. I also tried out the spool valve again. It works! The car will now hit 5 psi on the foot break. I plan on trying co2 in to the ams1000 boost controller to see if I can achieve the same results as blocking off the wastegate so I have some control. I am very excited to see what I will do once the track opens up again.

Ignore the spike in torque, the dyno was haveing issues with the tach signal. It didn't make 800+ torque. It was more like 595 when you scroll the curser over peak power. To give you an idea of the power band; the power and torque intersect at 5200 and redline is 6600.

datsun18psi695hp.jpg

here is a picture of the spool valve.

quickspool1.jpg

and a dyno comparison with (blue) and without (red) the spool valve

datsun18psispoolvalve.jpg

I finally got some time to work on the car again. I Fabricated and installed the parachute mount and bracket.

Mocking up the bars

parachute1.jpg

Welded in some gussets

parachute2.jpg

Under the car between the rear axle and rear sheet metal. The trans cooler bolts over it.

parachute3.jpg

Now with it all mounted up.

parachute4.jpg

parachute5.jpg

parachute6.jpg

I still need to mount the cable and release handle inside the car.

Edited by sq_creations

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on some projects in an attempt to get ready for the drag strip opening next month. I finished up the parachute release handle and routed the cable.

chutehandle1.jpg

chutehandle2.jpg

chutehandle3.jpg

chutehandle4.jpg

I built a heat shield for the turbo hot side and for the fan controller / relays I have behind the passenger side head light. I also put a flex pipe in the crossover tube to the turbo in an attempt to relieve stress on the headers.

heatshield1.jpg

heatshield2.jpg

Finally for this update I installed a dash cap. It is so nice not having to look at the cracks in the dash any more.

dashcap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on some projects to get ready for the drag strip next month. I mounted a air tank and regulator for the ams1000 boost controller. I will try c02 later on but I think I need a better regulator first.

co2-1.jpg

co2-2.jpg

co2-3.jpg

I got a 71 front bumper installed and cleaned up. Had to trim the air block off panels in the front but it all fits well now.

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

I also built a fan shroud for the radiator. Should make it a little more efficient.

fanshroud1.jpg

fanshroud2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...