HybridZ

EDIS mounting parts available

Derek

derek,

what is the difference between that pulley and the one on an early(9/71) that would cause your wheel not to fit. I am unfamiliar with the differences, but it looks like the front pulley is smaller in diameter compared to the rear. I only ask because my damper has been rebuilt and balanced and would like to keep it and use your set-up.

thanks

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

derek,

what is the difference between that pulley and the one on an early(9/71) that would cause your wheel not to fit. I am unfamiliar with the differences, but it looks like the front pulley is smaller in diameter compared to the rear. I only ask because my damper has been rebuilt and balanced and would like to keep it and use your set-up.

thanks

I'm not too sure. One thing to look for is are there 2 ears on the inside. some of the early dampers have them. If you look at the damper in the picture there are no ears or obstructions. The damper on my 73 is similar to this one but the inside diameter is larger. I thought it was particular to the 73 but maybe you have that one as well. One way to tell is the outer pulley the same diameter and groove size as the inner? If so it would fit. I just need to hook you up with an early rig like mine. I have those as well.

Derek

• 4 months later...

Derek,

I know you've already stated that this setup is only for a 280z 2 row, but do you think it would work on my single row aftermarket damper? If so, I'm interested.

Here's a picture:

Z336.jpg

Its not terribly great as a reference point, but the balancer has 2 bolt holes that are the same size as the 280z damper (NOT the 280zx damper I have sitting next to it in the photo). I just miked the distance between them with some verniers and they're the same (about 4.8"). The only difference is that these are flush with the outer surface instead of inset because of the missing belt groove. The only other issue I see is that I'm using a Datsun comp bolt/washer setup to mount it. I COULD have gone with a BHJ or ATI damper, but that's an extra $500 I would rather not spend at the moment. I'd also rather not reuse my old stock 280z damper because the elastomer is cracked, and I'd rather not go through another damper failure. If I can get your system to work, it seems like it would be the most optimal choice.

Do you have any of these left?

Edited by Oddmanout84

Unfortunatly it won't work.

See how the damper hub has 2 ears protruding into the hub. This would keep my hub adapter from even going in. Then there's the problem of the depth not being the same. Plus if you look at the distance between the boss where the washer sits and the tabs there isn't any room for an adapter either.

You can have your 2 row rebuilt for around $100.00 or buy a new one for $200.00.

Derek

Yes, I was thinking that maybe it could sit flush on the surface, rather than sliding in like on the two row (and if needed, possibly have my local machine shop cut a small lip for it to sit in). Oh well.. :(

I've looked at some online places like Damper Doctor etc for rebuilds, but I'm not quite sure if it would be worth it. I suppose I'll sleep on it.

Thanks for the info though, maybe I'll grab one of your setups down the road if I can figure this out.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm interested when you do another run as well. Derek (or anyone using the setup), do you know if there will be any interference if I'm using a stock clutch cooling fan instead of an e-fan?

Yes, the sensor mount will interfere with the back of the stock fan.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...