HybridZ

My rb26 350z swap!

Blakz33

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One hell of an engine swap guys. The VQ's only advantage over the RB seems to be it's weight and dimensions. Which brings me to a few questions...

What are you guys doing in order to compensate for the added weight, especially the weight that is now over the crossmember?

The trade-off seems to be well worth it though... The RB will definitely be easier to work on and reach power goals a lot easier than the VQ.

When you guys do finish up your car and get all the kinks worked out, you guys might want to develop a mounting kit that will allow customers to be able to attempt RB-350Z swaps on their own. The market is out there... people who have upgraded from S-Chassis that now own 350Z and want a route to more power would definitely buy something like this. A lot of them may be experienced SR swappers and the only thing that would be holding them back is the fabrication of a mounting solution. Please think about it.

One hell of an engine swap guys. The VQ's only advantage over the RB seems to be it's weight and dimensions. Which brings me to a few questions...

What are you guys doing in order to compensate for the added weight, especially the weight that is now over the crossmember?

The trade-off seems to be well worth it though... The RB will definitely be easier to work on and reach power goals a lot easier than the VQ.

When you guys do finish up your car and get all the kinks worked out, you guys might want to develop a mounting kit that will allow customers to be able to attempt RB-350Z swaps on their own. The market is out there... people who have upgraded from S-Chassis that now own 350Z and want a route to more power would definitely buy something like this. A lot of them may be experienced SR swappers and the only thing that would be holding them back is the fabrication of a mounting solution. Please think about it.

In all honest after removing all the unnecessary material and comparing it to having the VQ with all the additional Twin turbo stuff Its not that different. Keep in mind how much weight a full tank of gas adds too lol. It evens out pretty nicely, not perfect but not enough for you to honestly tell.

The kit id definitely an idea that his been getting some serious thought :icon10:

Did you guys attempt to test fit a VQ tranny before opting for the Rb25 tranny? The VQ tranny holds quite a bit of power. I was just wondering if that would be a nice alternative transmission if one were able to make it work with the RB.

I know of people that have tried but the gearing would have been better with the Rb25 tranny.

You guys should post this up on my350z.com. There are a few people on that forum that have been contemplating the swap but they've been getting shut out by the majority of people who don't fully understand the advantages of an RB over a VQ.

Also, you're are still using the RB26 oil pain, right? I heard that you can lose some weight by using the RB25 oil pan instead. However, I'm pretty sure the RB26 oil pan is a much better unit, so I guess it's a sacrifice that could be made.

Did you guys do anything to the suspension geometry with the new mounting equipment/method?

The motor the Z33 should've had! At the rate they are going, Nissan will be releasing a 450Z for 2015...

LoL Ya , i went to the local Nissan dealership to pick up a small weather strip for the engine bay but they couldnt bring it up on the computer so i had to pull the car in to service garage and when they popped the hood they lost it lol:mparty:

All the sales men came out and kept wanting me to crank the car up. I was a little worried about the reaction but they loved it:mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...
Lethal1.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

By far not the finished product still gonna powder coat some things wait on some HKS air filters and a few other things:icon46:

I would not use those filters if I were you. This is a good write up on the main aftermarket filters. The HKS lets the most dust through. Apex'i is the best!

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

• 2 weeks later...

kudos for the swap but not sure how beneficial it is over building a VQ35DE, the weight difference alone has to be a couple hundred pounds, plus no need for special fabrication. But I guess that is why I am not a hybrid Z :) and don't post outside the events section trying to get hybrid Z's to our Z meets

What are the power results?

As for working on the VQ35DE, other than the turbos all else is pretty easy to get to and it can make power rather easily with boost. Mine is at 554 RWHP at 15.5 pounds of boost on a Mustang dyno which would be around 600RWHP on a dynojet for comparison purposes. It can do more but I have a heck of time putting down what I have

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...