HybridZ

Car PC

240Z8_Dad

Ok, here is what I am thinking on doing for a project in an s30. Instead of going to an FM/AM/CD/MP3 radio I am going to do a Car PC with touch screen. The dash is out of the car already. A totally new custom dash will replace it. I am going to start with a 12" Touchscreen LCD mounted in the middle of the dash. The rest of the dash will be built from there out.

Here is an example of a screen.

3895864196_f929340a1b.jpg

Installed inside/under the dash will be this unit.

3895080611_3429492e1b.jpg

Here are some specs:

Barebones 4th Generation 1.6GHz Dual Core Car Computer

Our barebones 1.6GHz Dual Core Carputer is pre assembled and packed full of hardware including our new 4th Gen aluminum Mini ITX chassis, a M2-ATX automotive grade power supply with automatic start, Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard with embedded Dual Core 8W 1.6GHz Atom 330 CPU, 2Gb DDR2 RAM at 667MHz, and exclusive internal Bluetooth. Just add your own hard drive, operating system, and DVD drive (optional) for a complete system.

Ideal Features:

• Exclusive vibration and shock resistant hard drive mounting system (hardware included for a single 2.5" hard drive)
  • Regulated 12v output for LCD monitor power (up to 3A)
  • Smart 160W automotive grade DC to DC power supply features automatic startup and shutdown with adjustable timing settings, and more
  • 7 pin S-video output for use with existing factory NAV/GPS screens (compatible with RCA to S-video adapters)
  • VGA video output for high resolution monitors
  • RCA audio outputs for easy audio integration
  • Built in Bluetooth for wireless keyboards, hands free cell phone, and more (keyboard, software and microphone not included)
  • Locking 6 pin input/output power harness (included)
  • Built in mounting brackets for easy installation
  • 90 Day parts and labor warranty plus 1 year parts warranty

New 4th Generation Features:

• Redesigned air intake for enhanced airflow and increased cooling
  • Hard drive and system LED lights
  • RCA audio line outputs
  • Miniature reset switch

Specifications:

Case

Extruded Anodized Aluminum measuring 10" x 9.25" x 3.125"/254mm x 235mm x 80mm more info

Processor

ATOM 330 1.6GHz Dual Core 8 Watt CPU with 1Mb L2 cache 533MHz FSB

Graphics

Intel GMA 950

Chipsets

Intel 945GC Northbridge

ICH7 South bridge

Audio

Realtek ALC662 High Definition audio codec + Composite/RCA Line Outputs

USB

6x USB 2.0

LAN

1x 10/100/1000 Mbps

BIOS

Intel BIOS 4mb flash memory

Rear Panel I/O

2x Ps2 for mouse and keyboard

1x VGA

1x 7 pin S-Video

1x 10/100/1000 LAN

1x RS 232 COM

1x Parallel Port

6x USB 2.0 ports

3x Audio: Line in, Line out, and Mic in

Composite/RCA Line Outputs

Monitoring and Management

Power Management (Supports S3 standby)

Fan Speed Control

Wake on USB

Wake on PCI

Wake on LAN

Wake on Keyboard

Wake on Mouse

Memory/RAM

2Gb PC5300/667MHz more info

M2-ATX Smart Power Supply:

Connects directly to the battery,

Voltage regulation,

Automatic Start-up more info

Built-in Bluetooth-Exclusive Feature

Internal V1.1/1.2 Vista Compatible

50m/150' Range

Works with Centrafuse 2.0

Also Included

6 pin locking power harness

users guide and wiring diagram

master driver disk

detailed system build sheet

LCD monitor power cable

Compatible Operating Systems

Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and Windows Vista (2Gb RAM suggested with the use of Vista)

Operating temperature

0°C - 50°C

Warranty

90 day parts and labor plus 1 year parts by mo-co-so

I am adding a 1TB hard drive and wireless so I can upload music and videos from my server in my house. All movies are in .AVI (Divx) format. Lots of music and movies. Added bonus, how about a 12" GPS, just add software like MS Streets w/ gps ant. Also add maybe 3g card to get internet ANYWHERE!

All thats needed after these 2 items are a standard auto power amp and speakers.

What do you think? Has anyone tried this yet?

Looks pretty straight forward. Check out Dereks' custom dash. He has a liliput screen in his Z. Looks pretty good. 12" seems like it be a little on the large side, but with a custom dash you can even out the proportions. if you don't mind me asking what is that CarPC running you? Not including the screen. Just curious I build PC's on the side and depending on price you could probably build it yourself cheaper. Also I'd add more RAM than 1gb.

Looks pretty straight forward. Check out Dereks' custom dash. He has a liliput screen in his Z. Looks pretty good. 12" seems like it be a little on the large side, but with a custom dash you can even out the proportions. if you don't mind me asking what is that CarPC running you? Not including the screen. Just curious I build PC's on the side and depending on price you could probably build it yourself cheaper.

pc $260 + 10 ship

screens around $250 - $300

Here is the link to the pc on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-ITX-Carputer-Car-PC-w-D945GCLF2-M2-ATX-2Gb-RAM_W0QQitemZ200374314904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item2ea73d6798&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have built many computers but this one is ready for 12volt car systems. Small and compact.

As for the big screen, everyone has 7 - 10" screens. Why not go with bigger? Bigger the better when it comes to video. With the custom dash all proportions and balance can be worked out.

I am guessing around $1000 for total system. Screen, PC, Amp and Speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes your old!

But then again I'm 50. It's like anything else. If I try and read a book and drive well that's not too good of an idea. Same with these carputer setups. I can remember searching through a box of cassette tapes while driving being a bit distracting as well.

Derek

readability of the screen is a real issue in daylight, when i was last playing around with the one in my car i just lived with it, as the screen was only $300ish - meanwhile some of the guys at mp3car.com at the time were spending $800+ getting a special coating put on their screens which helped out a bit, or doing custom led backlight setups

the other issue with a carpc is that you are still using an operating system, and generally windows - and its hard to control alt delete on a touch screen!

i'm kinda hoping that apple release an awesome tablet giant ipod touch so i can just rip out my current setup and use it!

readability of the screen is a real issue in daylight, when i was last playing around with the one in my car i just lived with it, as the screen was only $300ish - meanwhile some of the guys at mp3car.com at the time were spending $800+ getting a special coating put on their screens which helped out a bit, or doing custom led backlight setups

the other issue with a carpc is that you are still using an operating system, and generally windows - and its hard to control alt delete on a touch screen!

i'm kinda hoping that apple release an awesome tablet giant ipod touch so i can just rip out my current setup and use it!

When I upgraded my carputer to the Atom 330 I was toying with the idea of running the mac OS. Unfortunately lack of a decent navigation software kept me with windoz. Now if the tablet runs the iphone software Tom Tom becomes an option.

I have trouble incorporating a 7" screen in my car so 10" seems like impossible to me.

Derek

Here is your Ipod Tablet its going to be around 10x10 inches

yep, but they still have to actually release it, by the time this is my highest priority for the car i'm sure it, and hopefully something better will exist :D

the one advantage of a 260z/280z dash is you can quite easily fit a 10" screen! i have a pic up here somewhere...

although i've never owned a mac running parallels or somethign similar (only had boot camp on a laptop uni gave me for a year), from what i've seen it doesn't seem to be to bad, even for basic CAD

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be going the carputer route, but I'm going to start w/ a EEE which I already own. Later on, if I feel like it I'll get a dash mounted touch screen to use with the EEE, but I don't have a center console so I'm thinking about making a mount right in front of the shifter for it. I'm sourcing an amp right now and have to figure out the EEE -> amp wiring set up.