HybridZ

New Datsun 240Z - Fairlady Z Retro Concept with a Touch of GT-R

Check it out:

Looks like the Datsun XLink concept that was created by Benjamin Nawka at Nissan’s Yulon Design Center (see here) has given birth to a newly found interest for the long-gone Japanese brand. This modern interpretation of the iconic Datsun 240Z / Fairlady Z of the 1970s is the work of a Polish designer Jacek Kolodziejczyk who goes by the alias 'Iacoski. The Fairlady Z Concept study combines the classic lines of the original 240Z with several design elements from the new Nissan GT-R such as the front grille, the side air vents and the headlamps. And while it may never go into production, the end result is pretty dang cool. What do you think?

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/08/datsun-240z-fairlady-z-retro-concept.html

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-12.jpg

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-2.jpg

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-3.jpg

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-5.jpg

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-4.jpg

Datsun_fairlady_z_concept-6.jpg

Guest Rolling Parts

Kinda fugly.

What's with the sculptured out doors (aka Mustang?).

What's with the sculptured out roofline (aka Viper?)

What's with the new front grill treatment (aka Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet; you almost expect it to ask "would 60 gallons be sufficient" when you look at it).

Anything that takes crisp lines and distorts them for "style" is just anti-Z. The reason I liked the 240Z back in 1970 was that it was simple, clean, functional, and no fakery (fake scoops and gaudy gold wheels come to mind!).

picture.php?albumid=192&pictureid=1445

The first one linked just doesn't do it for me. The second, orange one, on the other hand, I would buy in a heartbeat. It's a far better idea of a retromodern car. You can tell *exactly* what it's inspired by, but it's also obviously very different. The first car just looks like someone slammed the nose of a GTR onto a Z rear

With the new retro style going on, i.e. Mustang and Camaro, Nissan could really capitalize on this.

I am afraid it would hurt the sales of the 350z though, so in that case, there is no room in the Nissan line up.

Nissan does however need a entry-level car to compete with that new rear wheel drive Hyundai.....Just a thought

With the new retro style going on, i.e. Mustang and Camaro, Nissan could really capitalize on this.

I am afraid it would hurt the sales of the 350z though, so in that case, there is no room in the Nissan line up.

Nissan does however need a entry-level car to compete with that new rear wheel drive Hyundai.....Just a thought

I don't think Nissan is worried about 350Z sales anymore ;)

And I agree that they need an entry level Z, but I can't think of an engine that they could put in it that would let it feel very sporty. a VQ would be nice, but then there's nothing entry level about it, and the fourbangers just wouldn't cut it...

The white and red Z's are okay. I think that the front end and the side cues make it seem too busy. It looks like it's trying too hard, but I still like the direction it going in.

The orange Z is good, but I hate louvers on the hatch, and the rear needs to be retooled to be more 'Z-like' (taillights, bumper). Front end.... well, it's really good. I'd rather see a cleaner look. The headlights, grill, thin bumper and turnsignals should make it instantly scream 'z'. I'd drop money on it if it looked a bit closer to the 240z.

Entry level Z. I wish.

IMO, the perfect starting point would be a smaller version of the FM chassis ( I think the Foria concept went that way). 4 cylinder motors aren't my cup of tea, but If I had to go 4 cyl, I'd rather have something like a SR20VE, with a livelier tune. 5-speed manual, 2-seater, strip out things like cruise control, video screens, etc. Z should be as minimal as possible, light as possible, but as safe as possible. The whole point of the Z is to be a focused sportscar...that's driven everyday.

Sorry about rambling, just my opinion....

--R

GRID's car is the best of the lot there, but theres still plenty I would change.

The front grilled is too big and too many openings, it looks like a catfish gasping for air IMO, bring the nose line down some, so the point of the nose is about where the black stops at the moment, smaller opening. Ditch the hump-and-hollow roofline for a smooth one, ditch the louvers, a subtle spoiler on the rear line, ditch the funky door/rear arch mustang-y scoops. Rear lights mirrored above and below the colour line to more closely follow the 2-part look of the early Z light assemblies. SHorten the rear overhang by about 15-20% and place the pipes to each side of the car, not central as it is there. Black or gunmetal centred rim with shiny outer rim wheels, like the Sportmax 002/513 not funky mettalic.

what do you others think?

Of the 240 GT-R Concept Great lines but there are a few points for discussion...

1. The front under the bumper needs more cut back towards the wheels
  2. Ditch the IGAWTZRIMZDAWG! look for the wheels and put some actual racing rims on there right out of the box - Magnesium Alloy at 17 - 18"
  3. Scrap the skirts - Nancy.
  4. Audi Eyes although nice, belong on an Audi - go with something more towards the original
  5. Side mirrors - less zing and more agressive - move them forward of the A pillar to call out the original
  6. Ditch the vents and squared off fenders and doors. Round them under like the GRID concept

GRID Concept:

1. Get rid of the bubble top - it looks good but it adds unnecessary complexity to the overall production of the car. Add the height overall and call it a day.
  2. The 53' Corvette style cut-in to rear brake 'vent' - ditch it and continue on with the body line proper in a nice arc
  3. Would like to see the rear glass without the louvered look although it is quite awesome
  4. Would like to see the rear with a chop off spoiler as wide as the gate or out the edge of the body line.

Both are great concepts and I really do like what they push for. We can only hope that Nissan is watching, looking, and listening to their fan base. Not to say that the current Z isn't hot in it's own right but really they need to jump into the ring of throw back styling for the Z. That it will ever happen - I doubt it :D