HybridZ

4.6 H.O. in a 280z

Ohsautoshop

At my highschools auto shop we were recently donated a 4.6 H.O. Auto drivetrain out of an '05 Ford cop car. I understand that it's the same as the mustang motor. Its also brand new, so of course something crazy has to happen with it. We were also donated a 280z in great condition with a leaking fuel injector.

Thus the wheels started turning. As anyone done this and is it even possible? we're waiting on the car to be delivered so no measurements can be done. I do know that our 4.6 is 4 inches wider than a 289.

Anything is possible with with the right tools and ingenuity. Poeple have stuffed big blocks chevys in the 280z's engine bay, so i can imagine it is possible.

Making mounts is the easy part, but consider the following (just off the top of my head):

1. check height of assembled motor at the point where it will cross the steering rack and crossmember for hood clearance

2. check for steering shaft clearance

uuummm...prolly a few other things but i cant remember atm.

good luck!

-MIKE

• 4 months later...
At my highschools auto shop we were recently donated a 4.6 H.O. Auto drivetrain out of an '05 Ford cop car. I understand that it's the same as the mustang motor. Its also brand new, so of course something crazy has to happen with it. We were also donated a 280z in great condition with a leaking fuel injector.

Thus the wheels started turning. As anyone done this and is it even possible? we're waiting on the car to be delivered so no measurements can be done. I do know that our 4.6 is 4 inches wider than a 289.

What ever happened with this?

There is a member on the forum that had pictures posted of a 4.6 in a 240z I think it was. It fits but just barely. There are several companies now that make stand alone engine harnesses for the 4.6 and will reflash your ecu. Has to be done to get past the factory anti theft system.

My next Z is gonna get a supercharged 4.6