HybridZ

V8 Supercharger on a GM 2.0 8 valve ,4 cilinder?

Bart Hoedemaker

He guys,

I'm thinking with the idea of putting a V8 type supercharger on my GM C20NE, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C20NE

Put for that, I will need to change the pulley of the supercharger, it's to big drive belt. It's going to be in a Vauxhall Calibra.

You guys think this will work? I wan't to give it a few Bars of pressure though :mrgreen:. Thinking of C20LET pistons, or aftermarket, with 1.5 or 2mm metal decompressionplate maybe?

Any idea's or advice from the petrolheads here, would be great!

Other things are bothering me:

- How much HP does a V8 type supercharger needs, to be driven?

- Since I need to change the supercharger pulley for a smaller one, how can I calculate, the ratio/ boost pressure it will give?

- What size injectors would be needed?, Do I need an extra rail of injectors?

Just speculation, but I have heard others boosting to 15 psi (ruffly 2 atmospheres) that a supercharger will drain 40 hp at peak, but there are alot of variables. As for the wheel on the sup, i thing you should refer to how much air is being pushed (cfm) now by it and use it for a starting point, reduce it from there.... as for injectors, you can try over pressurizing the ones you have for more flow, I would use the basic rule of thumb of 1cc flow of an injector to 1hp, use that to gauge if you need to add ONE BIG injector to the mix of all the rest you have. I assume you would be using a stand alone ecu. Why wouldn't you start an exotic swap like this with a C20XE. duel overhead cam = more power. Are you using a centrifugal supercharger with intercooler?

What kind of SC are you running? Roots or whipple? Maybe even centrifugal? THE person to ask these kinds of questions is Tony D, I believe that his job entails industrial application of air compressors. The thing you have to remember though, the correlation between compression, flow, and compressor speed are not linear, and depending on the blower in question have different values as well as different efficiencies.

The Injector thing is a different idea entirely, it all depends on what your expectations are for horsepower and what SC you're running. Generally though MFG's shoot for about 80% duty cycle in their injectors (though some cars like the WRX Sti and Evo's are running pretty maxed out injectors from the factory) so you have a little room to grow, but not long before you'll need to upgrade. Luckily, turbo cars have bigger injectors and you can probably find Injectors from a turbo Supra (the us spec, I'm not sure if the euro car is US Or Japanese spec), RX-7, or in europe probably the C20 Turbo injectors and have it made.

Okay, sorry!

The injectors are available enough here. It's the supercharger that aint. There is a Ford mustang garage in the village here, so I can ask what superchargers they have for me. I could go with the 16V, but since the head is bigger, a V8 supercharger is quite big though, and have to fit it, in the engine bay of the calibra. 16V engines, are not so expensive either. But I love the characteristics of the 8 Valve.

I've calculated that my Calibra needs 365 HP roughyl, to reach 300 km/h, with a 6 Speed gearbox, from LET engine. But I want about 500 hp from the crank.

Thnx tyler and mag for the advice so far!

Just speculation, but I have heard others boosting to 15 psi (ruffly 2 atmospheres) that a supercharger will drain 40 hp at peak, but there are alot of variables. As for the wheel on the sup, i thing you should refer to how much air is being pushed (cfm) now by it and use it for a starting point, reduce it from there.... as for injectors, you can try over pressurizing the ones you have for more flow, I would use the basic rule of thumb of 1cc flow of an injector to 1hp, use that to gauge if you need to add ONE BIG injector to the mix of all the rest you have. I assume you would be using a stand alone ecu. Why wouldn't you start an exotic swap like this with a C20XE. duel overhead cam = more power. Are you using a centrifugal supercharger with intercooler?

Not a roots type, but a screw.

• 2 months later...

It would probably be the most efficient to get a supercharger meant of a civic or a 3181 and make an adapter for it so it will mate up to the 2.0. I mean i', just speculating here i've never done it but it seems like it would be more well matched and therefor more powerful and drive-able

good luck though