HybridZ

Mystery Clunk, NOT the diff mount

matt_w

Did you set the diff up yourself?

It sounds like you have to much Backlash from your pinion to crown gear are you sure you set correct backlash? As the gears wind up with torque they tend to seperate a few thousands of a inch. To me if its above 5mph that means the Pinion is contacting to closely or to far away.

Metal shavings are generally not good even after 300miles.. Like micro bits ok as any loose material from casting will rub away. Do the bears have to much preload?

Did you do a Tooth pattern check or just put it in.

You should buy a dial indicator mount it and check backlash as well as tooth pattern wear.. It should be more towards Toe end of the teeth but directly in the middle. (Toe end means closer to center of crown gear, Heel mean closer to Back of Crown gear)

The Differential is the center Casing

Crown gear is the big gear

Pinion gears are the smaller Straight cut teeth within the Differential casing

Side gears are obviously on the side contacting your axles

and the driveshaft is connected to the main Pinion Gear obviously

Differential Housing is the outer housing that contains the Differential.

Anyway I would check your tooth contact pattern make sure its in middle but slightly down towards the Toe (not to far)

then adjust Backlash as needed with proper shims.

Cause I think it sounds like your teeth as they load up are to high on the heel or to low on the toe or even perhaps the crown is to far right or left.. ya know? hehe

lots of metals flakes usually means its to tight maybe not enough backlash or to loose to much backlash

I think you may be right, as I've pretty much exhausted everything else. When I did all my measurements when setting up the rear end, I found that I needed a 10mil shim to account for the smaller size of the posi unit. I bet I put it in on the wrong side :(

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...