HybridZ

5k to spend on z31 N/A to Turbo conversion

steeto_burrito

Hey guys, I have a budget of about 5k to have fun with my 85 300zx N/A. I want to run a turbo setup, but cant seem to find a lot of the parts needed for a full "factory" swap. I have had the heads sent of and done already. 5 angle valve job, port and polish, decked, all that jazz. The block is dissasembled and ready to go to the shop to get hot tanked and checked out. I am wondering if I should run a custom turbo setup, or try and use the OEM stuff and make it a turbo. Anybody have input?

Check out a dude named 'SATAN' on this board and z31performance, he makes custom manifolds ranging from a relocation pipe, to a log style manifold, to full on tubular manifolds. He also makes intake manifolds and fuel rails. If I had 5k to spend, at least 2 of that would be with him.

Hook up Nistune if you're looking for an easy cheap and capable engine management system. Turbo is your choice, depends on what your goals are.

What sort of maintenance have you done lately? I'd do the full timing belt job (belt, tensioner, stud, cam seals, crank seals, water pump etc) If you're planning on reving high go with some schneider valve springs.

What about suspension bits?

• 2 months later...

I'd definitely think about the SATAN turbo relocation if a turbo x-member is one of the parts you can't find.

With a $5000 budget I'd put the NA back together, sell it, and buy a nice z31 turbo to modify. Or keep the NA and buy a z31 turbo. You should be able to find a nice one in the $3000 range.

• 3 weeks later...

Why bother buying a stock turbo swap when you are going to be needing a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, different ECU, if its a top mount turbo then you don't need a turbo crossmember, And you probably won't need the intake pipes anyways. BTW SATAN Products FTMFW!

Edited by Nissanxrma
Forgot something.

Well I am getting the project started now, still unsure on the N/A to turbo. I would love to make a ton of NA power, but you cant beat a turbo spooling up. Either way we will see what happens

I have a friend who owns a shop a couple miles from my house, He will be doing most of the work, I would love to do it all myself but I have a timeline and my job is having me work like crazy.

I am starting by rebuilding the engine that came with the car, and we will go from there on performance.

I am also doing a full update on the brakes, and suspension. We will see how it goes. I will keep you guys updated!

My experience is all with L28s in S30s, but I think you'll see that it applies to your Z31 too. I recently converted the NA FI L28 in my 240z to a turbo. The bottom end was having issues so I had to do something.

I found an almost brand new complete factory 280zx turbo engine for a steal. But by the time I was through with upgrades (head, cam, turbo, ignition, exhaust, etc), the only part of factory turbo I used was the block with crank/rods/pistons.

My point is that if you're planning on building it up beyond stock, you may as well start with what you have if the chassis is in good condition.

z32 crank, h beam rods, forged pistons. turbo manifolds(could go custom, or do a custom engine mount from the factory cross member) appropriately sized turbo for your hp range... proper sized injectors. engine management of your choice, be it megasquirt, or nistune. clutch upgrade, and some lsd... depends on your hp level you want, but with the $5g, and what you currently have oh, and a set of cams springs etc.... I think this is the route I would go... depends what your staring with too though....