HybridZ

I dont know what I'm getting myself into... when it comes to a Hybrid Z

MCAKES

Now that I have a job and I'm out of college I feel like I want to spend some money on myself. I really want to do an LS1 conversion and I've done the research, but I have very little mechanical skills and the likes. Sometimes I think its not even all that wise to embark on such a journey, that is potentially a money pit, and it will never get finished. I'm sure there are many people in Jersey that would help, but alas I dont know anyone. Someone reassure me, send me in the right direction regarding paying someone else to do the swap, or tell me to get stuffed, all advice would be appreciated. Thanks fellas.

Guest Rolling Parts

You could get a car that's already been swapped to a V8. Many are in the $4.5-6K range. It's much easier to play with "modding" a car than to do all the initial fabrication and installation bits...

Since you are lacking the necessary mechanical skills, learning from a hybrid swap is NOT where you want to start, in my humble opinion. I think it would be unwise, but you need to determine what you are willing to do to get what you want and how badly you want it. I would take some classes at a community college to start with, or just buy a running, old Z car and monkey around with it for a few years before doing a swap. Just my $.02

You need to educate yourself with books, tools, and the like. You can spell and don't use text messaging in your post, so there is great hope for you. ;)

I look for people with little mechanical proficiency to buy parts & cars from---they are always the ones having fire sales on parts because they have to dump their projects when they get in above their heads. Word to the wise...

Davy

I'm going to add that it is very important that you have tools and a place to work on your car if you're going to embark on a project.

I'd say for the most part [Well, at least for me] we are into Zs because they are plentiful, cheap, and stay cheap if you work on them yourself. They're no Porsche or Miata, but for what you can do to them, for the money it's a great deal.

This is a great car to learn on, it's really simple and this site is great for upgrades and technical advice. I'd never done any modifcations to a car before I got my 280Z.

Good luck with this, take your time and do your research before you buy a car. If you do it right and keep the proper mindset than it will be a great for you.

You need three things in order to have a hobby car: time, place (garage) and money. If you are missing any of the three then I suggest waiting.

You must have the time to work on the car or else it will lanquish in the garage. You'll end up selling it half complete because you realize you just do not have the time or patience any more to complete the project.

You must have a place (garage) to work on the car. There will be those times when you cannot work on it and covered storage is nice. Also, having a place to work on the car in the middle of winter is great.

You must have the money for a hobby car. Hobby cars, espeically modified cars, are money pits. If your budget does not allow for project funding after all of your other needs are met (don't forget the all important significant other fund), then I suggest waiting. Otherwise, see what I said about time.

To do a hybrid car you also need knowledge. I suggest you start by either buying a reliable swapped car (which is already done; no point) or start with an easier car to swap, like a 240SX with SR20DET. The swap is easier, you can still mod the turbo engine for more power to learn that side of it, etc. Plus you stay in nissan and if you buy a rolling chassis, you can later move the swap to the S30 and sell the rolling chassis again.

S30's that don't need lots of regular repairs/maintenance, etc are hard to find. You will spend half of your budget doing chassis repair, wiring stuff, suspension updating, etc.

Here are my suggestions and this is exactly what I did when I decided I wanted to work on S30s:

1. Get a place to work on the car where you can leave it in various stages of disrepair without worrying the neighbors.

2. Shop Goodwill and pawn shops for tools. Buy a factory service manual for your car.

3. Buy your first Z with the idea that's its a training project and you're going to scrap it anyway after you've done some work on it. That way you have no fear of screwing it up and are willing to take chances and make mistakes.

4. Strip that first car and carefully bag and mark all the parts you remove. Buy a camera and take lots of pictures.

5. Cut out body patches and whole panels and then weld them back in so you can learn how to weld sheet metal.

6. Clean and reassemble various parts of the car (carbs, cylinder head, steering column switches, transmission, struts, etc.).

When you've spent a year on this car, sell it or scrap it, saving the good parts. Now you know enough to find the right Z to start your hybrid swap.

Well if your ok with spending some $$$ to get you started, nothing wrong with that. I started out paying for all major work to my Z. It was my "baby" and I didn't want to screw it up. As time went by, I learned to do more and more to my Z, and began to rely less and less on others to work on it. I only farm out work that I am simply not interested in doing myself, or do not have the proper equipment to do it. Be prepared to spend some serious money for custom made stuff. Even some "bolt on" stuff needs a bit of work to get it to fit/work right on a 30+yr old car.

Are you looking for some ideas on paying someone for a complete swap? depending on what you supply, $5-$20K is quite possible. If you supply every part, you would still be lucky to get away with my low end figure. Anyone who says they can do it cheaper, walk away. quickly. Unless you think Ghetto rigged cars are right for you.

My 0.02 cents.

Scott.