HybridZ

Disk Brake Upgrade Ideas for 77 s30

So i've been reading about everybody and the different ideas for brake set ups and i like the 4 piston Toyota Pickup brake swap idea so my question is:

If i convert my Front Calipers/rotors to the S12W rotors can i convert the back ones to them as well? I know about using the 240SX ones on them but i was thinkin why not have all four of them identical so i get better braking on all 4 sides. I'm intending on changing out my stock brake Master Cylinder to the 15/16 from the 79-81 280ZX i hear thats one of the better things to do with the upgraded brakes to avoid fade and spongy brakes. I currently have a regular ole' 1977 280Z with the stock N/A L28E 5-speed and nothing really modified besides the coil/cap/spark plug wires but she hauls serious ass and i'm upgrading my shocks to the Tokico Illuminas with the stock springs to retain ~ my ride height i figure after suspension brakes are a good idea especially cause my poor rear drums are six ways toasted and i kinda don't wanna waste the money buying new drums and shoes if i can swap it over to disc brakes and be able to use ma e-brake a little better :D anyways so now the back story is over the issue at hand

77 280Z

+

4x4 Vented Brakes (S12W) in Front

(probably M-M Kit for $360)

+

4x4 Vented Brakes (S12W) in Rear

so what would it take/is it feasable to have all 4 the same caliper set up or should i shut up and put on 240SX calipers like everyone else? if i can bolt them up i'd way way prefer that but i don't have facilites to cut my own brackets and i don't like welding out in the sand if i don't have too. Anyways any Input would be nice i appreciate it thanks!:icon6:

~J

oh ok ok so the Vented 4x4 in the front with 240SX's in the back is the best way to with this job period right? i like my e-brake i don't use it often but i'd like to use it now and than it seems like it would be pretty handy! i've been reading about how you've got to set up an adapter with the 280 hand brake to make it reach further back so the 240 calipers don't drag thats what kinda turned me off to it. I guess an adapter is less hassle than no e-brake.

well i actually just now ordered the vented setup and 240sx setup from MM, so ill let you know how it is when i get it on.

dude heck yea man let me know how that works i was thinking of ordering that whole set up but wasn't sure about paying the $165 for the rear mounts. i don't know if this kit is both or if this is a piece but rear brakes are way needed about now i gotta get these swapped over like next check or check after that its gettin scary not being able to stop right :ugg:oh well a wise man once said "speed costs, how fast do you wanna spend" that was the greatest i read it on this forum too i believe i can't member what member wrote it though lol.

~J

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735 Read......

There are other alternatives but you're on your own persuing them. The 240SX rear brake setup is easy, cheap and functional.

Oh yea i read that one thats a good post for EVERYONE to read MULTIPLE TIMES!! its where i got my ideas from actually :mrgreen: i was looking at the total parts list with the Modern-Motorsports.com Rear Disk set and thats pretty good deal i think i'm gonna go ahead and order that package here in a few weeks when i can get some more money. Damn this little car's gettin some funds put in it, but its better than payin for parts for my freakin Prelude that thing is MAD expensive for everything lol. i got to many cars in general but thats a story for another day:icon56: i can't wait till everythings all restored and not falling off of it. i'm pretty sure thats a universal feeling for all owners of Z's

Z race products makes a kit to put toyota 4x4 calipers on s30 rears. Its not cheap, for that kind of money might as well pay a little more and get the Willwood kit by AZC, for another $200. They sell it on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260-280z-Custom-Rear-Brake-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem53d6c0bdaaQQitemZ360085241258QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I did the 280zx disc brake upgrade myself, its helped my braking a little bit, but nothing that impressive either... maybe if I went with more aggresive compound pads I would notice more difference. I got my whole setup for less than $300. 130ish for the brackets and used rotors and calipers for about the same. I got the 83 280zx turbo calipers, and it turns out the 240sx pads fit right on there. Its a nice setup and I have e-brake capability. I dont know if I'd bother doing the swap now that I've done it though, my drum brakes worked fine and I could have bought new swaybars for that money...

Z race products makes a kit to put toyota 4x4 calipers on s30 rears. Its not cheap, for that kind of money might as well pay a little more and get the Willwood kit by AZC, for another $200. They sell it on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240z-260-280z-Custom-Rear-Brake-Conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem53d6c0bdaaQQitemZ360085241258QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I did the 280zx disc brake upgrade myself, its helped my braking a little bit, but nothing that impressive either... maybe if I went with more aggresive compound pads I would notice more difference. I got my whole setup for less than $300. 130ish for the brackets and used rotors and calipers for about the same. I got the 83 280zx turbo calipers, and it turns out the 240sx pads fit right on there. Its a nice setup and I have e-brake capability. I dont know if I'd bother doing the swap now that I've done it though, my drum brakes worked fine and I could have bought new swaybars for that money...

yea i don't think the 4x4's on the ear is a feasible solution at this point i think i'm over that but my next question i guess would be does it matter what year between 89-94 you get the 240SX calipers from? i was gonna just buy some new ones to go with the kit but i think modern motorsport kit already comes with a set if i'm not mistaken. i was reading the little "details" link on the page and i think they had some so yea is this true does anyone know off hand? i'll find out once i order them i suppose

i'm thinkin about gettings a set of these they're pretty low cost and they come in GunMetal i'm thinkin 16x7 would be big enough to give me room for the brake kit in front and in back but not be way over sized and they'll be less than a bill a piece for em :2thumbs: so i think that would be a good way to get larger rims for not a too bit price i woulda got 16x7 steelies but i don't think they sell them for the z

http://www.silverminemotors.com/product.sc?productId=17&categoryId=4anyways tell me what you think sense your hear

~J

• 3 weeks later...

Hey let me know how that goes for you. I just got the Z bug And I've been itching to try a new brake setup. I hear that the originals are just about the lightest ones you can go with on the Z, but if it meant more stopping power I wouldn't mind switching over. Yeah, I'd probably want to keep the e-brake too. If you wouldn't mind posting where and how much you got the brakes, I'm sure others would like that as well. Thanks

Hey let me know how that goes for you. I just got the Z bug And I've been itching to try a new brake setup. I hear that the originals are just about the lightest ones you can go with on the Z, but if it meant more stopping power I wouldn't mind switching over. Yeah, I'd probably want to keep the e-brake too. If you wouldn't mind posting where and how much you got the brakes, I'm sure others would like that as well. Thanks

Well as it stands right now i've got my 15/16 MC and i'm waiting to get the money to finish paying for my Rear 240SX Calipers and brackets! Than i need pads, S/S Brakes Lines and new Front Pads and hardware and i should be good :D I just got my new Tokico Illumina Shocks so hopefully that'll help my stopping time too any one know what the stock spring settings are on the S30? isn't it like 175lbs front and 225lbs rear or something? Anyways i'll post pics when i get a chance ok? :D PEACE!!

~J

When it comes to aesthetics, drums just aren't as nice as rotors imo. However, I'm curious to know if switching to rotors will actually improve your stopping distance. If anything, they should be a lot easier to replace brake pads. :)

The normal consensus from what i understand is that there isn't any difference in the 240SX calipers and the Stock 280Z Drums but the calipers are deff WAY WAY easier to work on and i'm super lazy sio i've decided to go this way lol. I just gotta finishing paying off for my kit

~J

I've got a question. When doing this swap will you keep the stock brake cable or need to replace it with the 240Z's? just curious to know. I read somewhere that for certain swaps, you would need to do this. Do you need it here as well?

I haven't heard of needing to swap the 280Z cable for the 240 but than again i haven't completed this wap myself i'm still waiting to pay off my kits so i can get that shipped out and see what else i'll need. Has anyone else heard of this issue mike brought up about needing to swap cables?

~J