HybridZ

Mazda speed turbos

iceman2k6

this was the ad i saw on CL

3 used turbochargers from late model mazdas. (speed6/speed3/cx7) perfect for rebuilding and using on whatever you can adapt it to. Local pickup only-cash only. $150 for ALL 3.

i went to see the guy he is a mazda mech. i actually went to the mazda dealership where he worked. he said all they would do is put them in the trash if no one wanted them.

anyway my question is is it worth it to pick them up for a cheap build when i know they are taken out for a reason. he says after the cars have been idleing for a whle they smoke. which is a common problem on these turbos from mazda. something with the pcv. my question is are these a good turbo to try to wet my mouth with for a l28 or Ka turbo build. he is just selling the turbos with one water fitting. they are internally waste gated. and they are stock mazda parts. part num is k0422-582.

if i want more boost i have 3 so i could do a TT or a TTT (lol..just kidding) setup.

edit----

i foound this about the turbos. when i do these calculations for the l28 i get 388 and for the ka24 i get 333.

I think that number is based on the Audi/VW 1.8L engine family as this is the same turbo found on those cars. Take 250 and divide by 1.8, then multiply the answer by 2.3, you get about 320 HP which is about what our cars max out at at the crank with CAI, TBE, and upgraded TMIC. (Based on dynos of about 280 WHP, take 280 and divide by .88 {roughly the drivetrain efficiency} and you get about 320. Hope that helps (and is correct).

I'm going to thro this out there..

Alot of people believe you can just through on some seals and the turbo is rebuilt. Well they would be wrong. All turbos should be professionally rebuilt because of the tolerances and the high speed balance are completely off once the exhaust turbine nut is taken off. I never seen a back yard rebuilt turbo last. This being said 150$ for all three and 250$ each to rebuild... I dont think this is worth it unless you can rebuild them for cheap? Or maybe they are good (I dont think so) and they dont have to be rebuilt.

Just so we are on the same page (because I get confused).. The oil 'seals' in a turbo are in the center cartridge. If the turbo is not high (20,000+rpm) balanced it WILL wobble and hit the sides, oval out the bearings and seize. Just bolt on the exhaust side not being in the orignal rotaion/spot will through off the balance and this is just one thing and most common.

• 2 weeks later...